Google

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

 

Getting My Life Back

So, the chain of Annual-thingies is almost over.

Our very successful Annual Show keeps getting rave reviews, and will be taken down on Saturday. The reception went very well, and throughout the month of the show, we were extremely lucky to not have torrential rains, which did not leak through the rickety roof of the gallery and did not intermingle with the framed-yet-vulnerable watercolors... I don't even want to think about the what-if!

Even the all-member Annual Meeting on Sunday went, well, could-have-been-worse (reverting to Minnesotan here). Apparently, it was highly challenging, only I was so busy making sure it will not go downhill, that I did not even realize it in real-time. You know how it is, when you have to suddenly act in a stressful situation and do what you can to survive; you do not stop to think "Oh, this is so hard!", 'cause you just have to act and improvise and be in the zone of fight-or-flight!

We had some business matters to attend to, voted on three amendments to our By-Laws (yup, we have those), and then we were to have an attorney come and explain about becoming a non-profit.

Thing is... the attorney... Uhm... did not show up when we were ready for her. Like, she didn't arrive. Mostly my fault, as I estimated everything will take longer, so I asked her to arrive before 1:30pm. Well, we were ready for her just after 1pm. So, we kinda stretched the time, took a long break, and burst into a huge roar of relief when she finally arrived (1:35pm, but who's counting...). Poor gal, she did not even have a chance to catch her breath. After she presented the subject, came the questions. In floods. Remember these torrential rains that did not pour down on the gallery? Well, they materialized in the form of questions, some very legitimate, some - well, very creative. When I saw it was all starting to take too scenic a route into the nearest unrelated pit, I had to cut it short, asking to address further inputs to me.

Then it was time for WackieM to deliver her demonstration. Now, just to humor you, WackieM herself did not show up on time, as she somehow meandered to a different location, and caused us all another spree of anxiety.

But hey, all's well that ends well, and she started to do her magic with paint on paper. And then, and only then, when I could finally sit down and relax, the splitting headache that suddenly was bestowed upon me, made me think, "Whew, that was a tough meeting!".

I guess that's always the case when people sense the scent of change in the air. Even if this change will yield considerable benefits and great opportunities, open new doors and give foot-massages every other Tuesday - there will always be resentment and suspicion and the desire to keep things the way they are.

But, as I said, it's over!

...Well, there is still the show take-down on Saturday.

.........And the submission of stuff to the newsletter (deadline is also Saturday).

...............And the planning of the Annual Party (January).

But, Hey - it's over!!!

Kinda.

WoooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Labels: , ,


Comments:

There, you survived and it will be all smooth sailing from now on.......yeah sure!!

Anyway, congratulations, leader on passing your initiation rites!
 

Umm, where can I sign up for the those every-other-Tuesday-footrubs?

Congrats and Whew~!~! for you!
 
Can we submit to the newsletter? I've got some interesting ideas about sculpture that I believe could revolutionize the modern art world. And your newsletter can have the inside scoop.
 
Valerie, indeed, survival it was, and I am now initiated by fire and Advil.

Michael, Uhm... like... dude... you really take things literally, don't you? :-)

Daniel, while your ideas of sculpture are probably fascinating, I am not quite sure they would fit in the newsletter of a watercolor organization. Y'know, a somewhat different media.
 
Congratulations! Time to crack open a tasty beverage and celebrate!
 
Alright, well how about this, I've developed an exciting new way of drawing turkeys just by tracing a human hand. Could this fit in your newsletter?
 
so glad you are getting it back.
slowing down is such a good thing...
:)
 
It probably depends upon how big hands are, Bruckner.

And I never Ever EVER take ANYTHING literally. Ever!

Nor have I once in my life utilized hyperbole or exaggeration.

So, umm, like, there!

But I could still use one o' them every-other-Tuesday-(or Wednesday.. Wednesdays-are-better)-footrub thingies...
 
she somehow meandered to a different location, and caused us all another spree of anxiety.

I LOVE this sentence! A spree of anxiety! You have a delightful way with words!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.