Google

Sunday, September 02, 2007

 

ArtPact #28


$#%*#@^#!

- - - $#*&%##!!

- - - - - - @#&)%^#)$!!!!!

Can you tell I'm a bit upset? Just a touch?

After a long break in which I have not entered my studio (except for packing it yesterday) I just couldn't let it go on. I can only blame myself for letting everything else stand between me and what I love to do, and I am fed up of so whiningly blaming it on everything and everyone. Gheeze, grow up, woman!

While The JohnnyB had his nap today, as I was slouching in front of yet another redundant TV show, I pulled myself together, and stormed into the almost-empty studio. I imported paints and brushes from the den (to which we relocated my supplies cabinet), made another trip to get a palette - and went for it.

I decided to do something I've been postponing for a while. Y'see, I have a problem. Whenever I take a brush in my hand, I always blend the colors together beyond distinction and soften the edges like some edge-softening maniac, ending up with grayed colors and my infamous wishy-washy style, which I am quite tired of. When I did my self-portrait collage (and the others that followed), I was thrilled by the sharp edges and the interest they added. I loved the result, loved the new style - and yet, can't do it with a brush.

Perhaps it's a matter of patience (or lack of). While in collage you can work continuously, getting sharp edges and glowing color with watercolors requires waiting for the previous layer to dry. Aha! herein lays the catch: Waiting. Holding back. Postponing satisfactions. No such concepts in the dictionary of us Aries people. Such deeds are excruciating, and require extreme effort.

RabkieM, listening with growing pity to my outcry, had a brilliant suggestion: reproduce my collage in watercolors. I was intimidated, as it's basically copying, which requires discipline. And yet - I decided to give it a go. Perhaps it would teach me to leave the paint alone, and enable me to do what I have never managed to achieve before. Perhaps hard edges will become my new best friends? Perhpas pigs will fly?

I started on the right track, obediently following the collage - - - for 5 whole minutes!! Then I was carried away, and began to get creative. As it often happens, I got lost in the process.

"Stop!", I told myself.

- - "Take a break and look at it from far away", I reminded me.

- - - - "At least take photos of the stages!", I begged.

Nothin'. Nobody to talk to.

I was apainting.

And as I was trying to pull the painting together, I became even more smart-alecky, introducing a couple of more things.

Just to remind you, the original intention was to copy the collage.

OK, before starting, I decided to incorporate some text by transferring it onto the paper (which resulted in a pathetic failure, as it dissolved into nothing!). Once the face was done (very successfully, if I may say so!!), I attempted to repeat a very successful light pattern I had in one of my self-portrait bozzettos. AND, just for fun, I decided to follow an advice I suddenly remembered: conceal one of the eyes, so they don't compete for attention.

Oh, and above all: I was trying to paint a masterpiece for the upcoming annual show. Yeah, that helped...

OK then, enough stalling. Here is the result:

For those of you who find themselves gazing at the painting and wondering... no, The JohnnyB did not do that to my face.

Ah well, we learn much more from failures, Eh? Tomorrow is another day. I will start a new painting. I will hopefully keep the many lessons I've learned from this one in mind. Hey, at least I painted today!


And yet: @#&)%^#*$*^#)@^#!!!!




previous ArtPact ... ...next ArtPact

Labels: ,


Comments:

Good for you Nava!
I was thrilled when I saw you, painted!

You know this one looks like you have a partial mask on.
Transparent yet veiled.

very interesting......
 

The mask would disappear if your hand (against your face) was also in shadow.

Do you use a hair dryer to hasten the drying? If not, it is a MUST. Otherwise you'll 'wait' yourself right outta yer mind! ;-)
 
This is, in my opinion, the best yet. The battered woman allusion was funny, I suppose this work would be right at home on a pamphlet for domestic abuse. A very aesthetic pamphlet.
 
Hmm... funny, how something that I consider a failure is viewed by other eyes. I guess I have in my mind's eye what I intended to do, and since it did not work, I consider it a failure. Whereas you, dear ego-boosters, see the final product as is, without being biased as to what it was supposed to be.

Actually, this morning I dislike it less.

Thank you all, and - good idea, Mike!!

 
B-B-B-Baby! It's beautiful, Nava. Really. It's more sensual than the collages, and is Not watery looking at All. I didn't think you could do watercolors so deep and rich.

Oh, yah;
I was apainting.
:))) I love it!

Also, apropos of nothing, I like the way you spell Gheese. lol! I always use the quasi-standard, Jeez. You way is more like "Cheese", which works, quitely. Whatevs, eh.

:-}
 
It's not what you say, exactly, but how you say it. That's why I keep coming back and back and back.

Do you suppose that might also be true about painting? It's not what you paint, but how you paint it? Do you suppose? Hmmmm?

I love your comments on my blog, Dear One. It's how you say it! (no kidding!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.