Google

Sunday, January 27, 2008

 

Roaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!


We went to see the movie "I Am Legend" tonight.

I have to disclaim: I am not a horror movies type of gal, and never been a fan of this genre. I usually find them boring and silly, sometimes even funny, as they are so totally out of proportions. Zombies, monsters, aliens, demons - I mean, c'mon!


I do highly appreciate psychological thrillers, as those can truly scare the hell out of me.

But - it was The JohnnyB's birthday, and I screwed up with one of the gifts I got for him (subscription to a magazine, that, um... he already is subscribed to... I don't want to talk about it!). And, he's been wanting to go to this movie for ages.

Plus, in the last couple of weeks, I saw a movie with Will Smith, which has left in awe of his acting skills. Have you watched "
The Pursuit of Happyness"? Well, the kid who played the reckless Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has grown to a top-notch actor.

So we went.

I did not come out of it a groupie of horror movies, but Will Smith played his role incredibly.

Since we caught this movie only now, we saw it in an old quirky cinema, that sold stale popcorn. The place smelled of pee, and by the look of the chairs, those responsible for this odor did not bother to go to the restroom to leave their mark. And, to top it all, as one of the characters was saying the finishing sentence of the movie, the end of that very last sentence was cut in the middle (I kid you not!) and the lights went back on, leaving us no chance of seeing the cast or the director. I'm pretty sure won't be going to that theatre ever again, but now I am soooooooooooooooo glad we went to see it there, as the screen was small... I wouldn't want to watch this one on a full screen. Hey, in some places, it played in iMAX!!!

The movie is bursting with nocturnal zombies all over the place. And yes, it was scary. Not the constant roaring and the glaring eyes of those creatures, as much as the impact of the
terrible silence that pulls you into the reality of the movie.

Right as we were going out of the movie theatre, I heard someone calling my name - and it was webbieL from our watercolor club. I was still overwhelmed by the movie, so I guess I acted very weird (The JohnnyB states I was looking around very nervously). I was still in that freaked-out state as we drove back home in the dark empty streets, wondering when will the first zombie stick his unpigmented face in the window and roar at us with sharpened teeth.

When we got home, The JohnnyB was so thoroughly amused by my reaction that he took me by the hand to check that all the closets are safe and the house is zombie-free.

OK, OK - laugh all you want. But - - - - now The JohnnyB is feeling sick... he even took Airborne.

Coincidence??

I dunno.

One thing's for sure: I'm gonna check his hair, eyes and gums in the morning. You don't mess with the plague.

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Ooooooohhhhhhhh yes I went to see it with Mark and Justin the first night it came out. The very large screen theater was packed but I didn't care that my hands covered my face for just about the entire movie! I make a very small crack to see through with my fingers...
at one point during the flick I almost got up to leave it was too intense! (when he was hanging upside down) I couldn't stand it!
yes I had no idea that this was a zombieish movie.
yikes!!!
 

oh and I forgot to mention that I had nightmares for 2 nights after it.
 
I loved the 1971 version w/ Charlton Heston as "The Omega Man".

Tried to go find it on Netflix, but they don't have it. Cause it's not out on DVD.

I'm sure I thought it was an amazing movie when I saw it when I was 9 or 10. Now, I think it'd be a bit of a cult movie, with Heston hamming up the "last man" bit, while mowing down the zombies (who all looked like hippies as well) w/ a spray from his automatic as he tries to "cure" them (I remember Heston doing a lot more killing than science).

Thanks for going with me, Sweety!
 
I have been a huge Will Smith since Six Degrees of Separation. If you haven't seen that, I highly recommend it. And now I'll have to see that movie now.
 
fan, that is.
 
I love Will Smith in pretty much anything. I think he is a fine actor. He wasn't funny in this one but that's OK. I think he was playing a man who values humor (he loves Shrek!!) but doesn't have any more of it. We re-watched The Omega Man the same weekend we saw this one, and there's one more version out there with Vincent Price in it. Gotta see that one.
 
I'm gonna try and catch it (the movie, not the plague) at the local cheapie theatre. Luckily, ours is generally sans pee-aroma.

=]

Gotta find Omega Man as well, eh.

Talk about checkin' out the closets! Don't watch The Grudge. Is also a great story (actually a Japanese urban myth) but is otherwise a more traditional horror flick. Just fairly well done.

BOO!!!

Err... Sorry...

'-}
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.