Google

Friday, March 13, 2009

 

ArtPact #81: Of Values and Emotional Value

(Also published on "Unchain My Art")

I know I've made this statement about quite a few paintings, and then got distracted by another image that excited me. But here I go again: this may be the beginning of a new series.

My sister has been going though our parents apartment, and sent me batches of scanned family photos that awash me with waves of nostalgia. One photo in particular had a special compelling effect on me. A photo of my grandfather. It was taken by my father about 50 years ago, which means no Photoshop or any form of cropping was applied. And yet, it has a close-to-perfect composition, brilliant division of space, interesting big shapes - and beyond that, it captures a quiet moment of self-indulgent. I feel in love with this photo, and it haunted me for weeks. Being a photo of my grandfather whom I've never met (he passed away before I was born) taken by my father who's also gone, doubles its emotional value, converting trying to turn it into a painting into a daunting task.

(to continue reading, click here)

previous ArtPact... ...next ArtPact


Labels: ,


Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.