Google

Friday, December 29, 2006

 

He Is Sick. Again.


"Don't leave comments on sick people's blogs", I warn him. Again and again.
But he doesn't listen.
Never did. Never will.

He just goes on, commenting along, regardless of their reporting of cold and flu and vomiting and all the other graceful symptoms.

No wonder The JohnnyB got sick. Again.
He started shivering last night, having cold and hot spells, scared the hell out of me, and is now laying about, with the miserable look of a koala whose eucalyptus forest has just been consumed by a huge fire.

Sick while on vacation from work - that just sucks!


At least we had a wonderful day in Da City yesterday.


We went to the MOMA to see a truly incredible art exhibit by Anselm Kiefer.
Very bleak, very powerful, very holocaustic.

Even the highly critical The JohnnyB was impressed.
Although, when I tried to get a statement from him, for the record and the blog, it went like this:
(my sentences in soft feminine purple; The JohnnyB's Minnesotan syllabley-challenged grunts in masculine blue)

- "So, you liked the exhibit yesterday?"
- "Yes".
- "What did you think of it?"
- "I dunno".

Yep.
Married him for the conversation.

I got myself a membership.
One of my resolutions for the upcoming year is to try and take better advantage of living here, right next to a cultural center - with museums and art shows at top priority.

And, since this membership is damn expensive, we went through all floors of the MOMA.

They have some real cool exhibits there, and some highly annoying one.

The winner this time was three huge canvases painted white, juxtaposed next to each other in a horizontal layout.
I can't remember the name of the artist, but I think he titled this incredible work "White Noise".
Like, three bloody white canvases, which he painted white, diminishing all evidence of brush strokes and the artist's hand.
And next to it, is his lengthy artistic statement, that - among other blabbering, describes the masterpiece as, "...being not passive but very-well, hypersensitive. So that one could look at them and almost see how many people were in the room by the shadows cast".

Yeah... how's that working for ya?

Well, what can I say?

I once thought I am not there yet, that one day I shall understand the brilliant wisdom of such works.
Nope. Not anymore.
Now my only thought is that the guy is a genius.
'cause he managed to enter this Hmm, art, at the MOMA.

And now I thoroughly enjoy the faces of the visitors, all trying to look sophisticated and understating, as if they have seen the light and have truly grasped the true meaning and depth beneath it, or behind it, or wherever it may hide.

Highly amusing.

We lunched at the pretentiously expensive yet very tasty Cafe Muse, and left the bustling downtown for some green-seeing at the Golden Gate Park.

After walking and standing in the way-too-warm air-conditioned spaces of the MOMA, it felt nice to be outdoors.

LumiB got some real nice shots of the very photogenic surroundings and refelctions.
Cool, Eh?

It was LumiB's first time in San Francisco, you see, and she was very, very excited.

Just as I get, every time we go there.



We strolled around one of the small lakes in the park.

It looked very pastoral and all, but once we got there, we found out it was probably a bad hood of the park, judging by the an atrocious and noisy duck-fight.


Probably a dispute between gangs.




The setting sun has lent itself to some dramatic views.

This is not a fire, mind you.

I repeat: this is not a fire!

Only the last rays of sun, peeping in between the trees, a minute before they took away the nice warm feeling and mercilessly left us to freeze.

Very Kinkade, as The JohnnyB pointed out, insulting me beyond description.

The park in general was surprisingly pretty, surprisingly empty, and not-so-surprisingly cold.

All in all, it was a really nice day out.

And today, The JohnnyB is sick...

Ah well - all I can do is hope for two things:
One, that it's yet another one of his 24-hour flues.
And two, that I won't catch it and upgrade it into the state-of-the-art full-blown executive flu, like only I can.
Y'see, being the dainty sophisticated woman that I am, I just don't do quickie-flu.



Hey - and I did not mention tea. Not even once!!!

Labels:


Comments:

One: I always said Intel is a great and considerate company, allowing its most valuable assets/resources get sick on their own time...
Two: when in SF you go to the wharf and have freshly made hot clam chowder (this way you do not get the flue the next day) and
Three: my Firefox with and "Adblock Plus" add-on is doing a great job thank you very much. I see no ads. I click no ads.
 

You see no Ads.
You click no Ads.
I have no money to buy clam chowder.
I get sick.
The simple math of life.

 
I agree completely about the phony people at art exhibits. Like the story of the emperor with no clothes - only the sophisticated can see the outfit. Course if the story was more realistic, the child would be punished for telling the truth to power.
 
I hope you don't let JohnnyB make any comments on your blog until he's cured. I can't afford to catch anything right now. And Kinkade?!?! It must be the illness distorting his vision. Those pictures look great, especially the one that isn't on fire. My daughter calls bright early-evening sunlight "fire sun".
 
I forgot to comment to the couple standing next to us at the white painting that it was a good thing they had the little piece of wood glued on the floor to make sure you didn't stand to close, so that you could really take-in the whole picture, and not get stuck on just one small section of it.

Like seeing a 6' x 9' piece of white canvas was any different than just seeing a small section of it.

Yup.
 
*cough, cough* I think I'm coming down with something.

Actually, I can't play the innocent. I've had a hacking cough for a full week. JohnnyB, I'm sorry if I got you sick. Nava, I hope you don't catch it.
 
I wholeheartedly agree on your assessment of that painting, I've seen things like that (basically solid-colored canvasses) and think "Wow, somebody sure sold these people a load of crap and they fell for it, hook line and sinker", and the people who think it's brilliant... grrrr.

Here's a site you might like. I've blogged stuff from it a couple of times: reverent quizzes.
 
Flimsy Sanity and Blueberry, good to see I am not alone in my opinion.
And, THANKS for the link,
Blueberry - it's fantastic!! I took the first test ("True Art or Fake"), and failed miserably, with a 50% score...

The JohnnyB, Ha, there you go, missing the point. You need to view this piece of, well, art, as a whole, rather than as small fragmented sections. The sum is always greater than its parts, thus the contemplation is disrupted when taken out of context. Or somethin'.

Plainbellied, The JohnnyB is well again. In fact, he got well enough to get into a damage-spell and managed to put the monitor of our desktop to sleep...
I am still too frustrated to blog it.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.