Google

Thursday, December 21, 2006

 

It's Soooooooooo Cold!


So bloody cold!

It's so cold, that The JohnnyB wears a coat when he goes to smoke in the backyard.


No, you need to understand:
When The JohnnyB is cold, he just rolls down his sleeves.

"Coats are for sissies", he sayeth, with an over-emphasized Minnesotan accent.

(A Little Lunch For Thought™:
.How can Minnesotans have an accent, when they speak no more than two words at a time?
.Eh?).

And yet, for the past couple of days, whenever the excess fresh air in his lungs reaches the point that he cannot take it any longer, and has to dilute it with the good ol' cough-stuff, The JohnnyB sheepishly puts on a coat, his hazel eyes looking at me apologetically (no, not due to the smoking; because of the coat!), and he sprints out to break yet another record in quickie-smokage.

Today he informed me, officially, that "the water in the faucet is so cold - feels like Minnesota!".
Now, that Is cold.
Above average, as they say. Yup.

One would expect that at least we shall have some snow falling here.

But nooooooooooo.

"We live in a valley", explains the very patient The JohnnyB to his very impatient lovely wife

Yeah, I know
I know that the topography, geography, weatherography and demography in our neck of the Silicon woods do not exactly lend themselves to snow.

I KNOW ALL THAT!

BUT IT'S COLD!!!

It's freezin' and flippin' and freakin' COLD!!

And for nothing!

Why can't we have a soft white banket cover everything, together with that unmatched absolute quiet that accompanies snow?

(I grew up with snow, y'see.
.Well, we had it once a year.
.Or every other year.
.Yes, we do have snow in the land of milk and honey and unique fonts.
.And Jerusalem in snow, dear readers, is a vision in white. Breathtaking).

All over the blogosphere, you read cheerful posts, bragging and boasting about blizzards and horizontal snow, with photos ostentatiously uploaded and snowmen (sorry - this is PC-land... snow-persons) popping everywhere - - -


- - - and we, we raise our longing eyes up to the grayish sky, that once in a while gets penetrated by a wandering ray of sun, which gives the optical illusion that it's actuality safe and fun to go outside.

So one goes out, wearing an optimistic sweatshirt (like, it is, after all, sunny California, right?), and then one's nose instantly falls off, and one picks it up off the snowless ground, and runs back inside, to sit in a big hot mug of tea until May.

I am definitely dreaming of a white Christmas!


I'll settle for off-white.




!!!קר לי, רבאק

Labels:


Comments:

2 corrections:

1) I only wore my coat out smoking once.
2) I said "The water is so cold, it's like Minnesota water *IN THE SUMMER*."

But yes, it is cold for Silicon valley. I've had frost on my windhshield more this month than I have in any previous winter.

And managed to lock the keys in the car, with it running, yesterday, as I went to get a watering can of warm water to remove the frost. 5 minute mad scramble to see if I had a spare key in the house, as my real spares are at work. Luckily I found one!
 

FC is hiring, if you want to move somewhere with some snow, but not so much snow that it's annoying. I could lie and put in a good word about JohnnyB with the hiring folks. He could come work for MoustachioP, maybe. He need some extra firepower in his ongoing battle with someone named Tulip who lives in Massachusetts.

I also know a nice little house not too far from here with a finished "media room" in the basement with a projection TV and 12' screen. I almost bought it myself, except I didn't know what I'd do with a 2500 sq ft. garage-building with a 20' ceiling in addition to the 3-car garage attached to the house. You could probably make a hell of an art studio out of 2500 sq ft. Or maybe a hell of a smoking lounge.

Unfortunately, it'd likely cost only about $400k less than you could sell your wonderful house there for. They lowered the price almost $50k since I looked at it.
 
Nice house.
A bit too small for the two of us, though.
Only 6 bedrooms?

As for the price - I think you are confusing us with TexieD or Scooter...

You sure you want to contaminate Colorado with French Canadians?
I thought you hated them so.

 
I agree with you...if it's cold there has to be snow!
Its just wrong.
It's like salt without pepper.
We had a foot of snow a couple weeks ago...we got excited thinking, White Christmas.
but noooo. all melted and muddy from rain for two days. just pouring rain here in Cheese country.
:(
 
TexieD and Scooter could just rent out their garages to cover the purchase price. I figured you'd have to sell the whole house.

You can always modulate the number of cats you own to better match the number of bedrooms.
 
No cats get into the house with me.
Not if I am to live in it.
Unless they are stuffed.

Speaking of which - how is Lucy, the mummified chicken?

 
That's strange. I always took JohnnyB for being the kind of guy who would have a bunch of cats that he would refer to as "my girls."

Lucy will the subject of an upcoming photoblog. She's been neglected for a while, but it's time to change her salts. We started to a couple days ago, but got distracted.
 
Yeah, The JohnnyB loves cats. He loves animals in general, as do I. I just despise cats.
Maybe 'coz as a child, I saw a cat playing with a nestling that fell off the nest, tortured it for a while, and then got bored, left it half-alive, and went away, all smug and giggly.

"I always took JohnnyB ... would have a bunch of cats that he would refer to as "my girls."

Funny! That's how The JohnnyB used to refer to his debug-lab mates until several months ago. What a coincidence!

 
We got rain. Rain! for a North Coast Chris'mas!

קר לי, רבאק

R U swearin' at us in Hebrew???

{-;
 
No, MB. I'm not swearing.
It's pronounced: "Kar Li, Rabak!".
Literally is says, "I am cold, your father" ('your father' is actually in Arabic), but it actually means, "I am cold, damnit!".

...now, don't you regret you've asked?

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.