Google

Sunday, January 07, 2007

 

ArtPact #7


Last week, I showed an only-started-and-too-busy-and-sick-to-finish underpainting.


And so, this week, in full repentance, while crying "peccavi!", I am posting two finished paintings.

I worked on them quite a bit, brought them to my critique group, got the usual "The background is not quite finished!" comment from JanieP, who was right - as usual - and I went back home, reprimanded, to work on them a bit more.

And, here they are.
Finished, so I hope.
Well, mostly.

They are both - yet again - pomegranates.

The first being the continuation of last week's underpainting:

"Outcasts #1",
Watercolor on W/N CP Paper, half-sheet (15"x22", 37x55cm).


Both paintings have a very similar composition, but they are done in different techniques, and have different moods.

"Outcasts #2",
Watercolor on W/N Rough Paper, half-sheet (15"x22", 37x55cm).

"That's it with pomegranates!", I cheerfully thought, "I can go back to painting people!!!".

Hmm, not quite.

Yesterday, we had the annual holiday party of our watercolor society.
Among other things on the fun-packed agenda, we had an enthusiastic speaker from the Triton Museum, who elaborated how beautiful art is usually all about the subject, while exquisite art is more about the idea - thus not always beautiful nor eye-pleasing.
And I bowed my head in shame, as I realized that I haven't gone far enough with the idea on these pomegranates, as I was trying to keep them pretty-looking.

What's wrong with me!?

As BearGal from our critique group (yeah, now you have a blog name, dear!) said, with increasing exclamation marks:
"You want to show decaying pomegranates?
.Then, paint decaying!
.Take it further!!
..Be daring!!!"

Even The JohnnyB said, "Outcasts? They don't look like outcasts! They look ripe, even sensuous".

Y'all must be getting pretty tired of these pomegranates, Eh?
So am I, trust me...

But I am not sure I am done with them.
Not just yet.
I need to see if I have the guts to really make a painting that will capture the essence of how they look, dry and rotten and pecked by birds and forgotten, and overall, looking like outcasts.

Back to the easel, then.


previous ArtPact... ...next ArtPact

Labels: ,


Comments:

Sure, doesn't look like outcasts at all.
Still, I like #2 - you can change the name of this painting into something like "pome-grenades" - they look very explosive and full of energy.
 

I like the idea!!!
I might actually plagiarize the name, if this painting goes to the show. Thanks! :-)

 
Love the luscious reds and your pomegranates sure have personality.

Thank, thank, thanks You made me realize I've been trying to get to abstraction through thoughtless self-indulgence in paint splodging, dripping and splashing. I must get back to the reality of things first in order to dig for the significance. Bless you, Nava, for the lesson.
 
When I first saw your paintings. I wondered if they were the same pomegranates as I thought it looked like I could pluck one from your painting and eat it. After reading your post I definately think you should go for it and paint them just like you see 'em. We can live without "pretty". although, you know what they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
 
Everyone is on the right track!

Great comments from everyone!!

it isn't about the pomegranites . . .or however you spell it . . . (might be something there, too!) . . . .you wanna paint the process of decay? Then make sure all of the design elements fit the idea . . .value contrasts need to be managed to suggest decay . . .and so does color. Decaying stuff is rarely full of rich, intense color.

These paintings are definetely skilled and rich . . .the fact that you are bored with them is perfect! Now, instead of looking at them, look inside yourself and CREATE!!

(and you know who this is from! ;-)
 
I think you should explore the Neo-Impressionist aspect of Fall of the American Empire vise-a-vie the rotting Pomegranite of Silicon Valley. Sensous, decadent, full of energy, but ultimately doomed to rot.
 
Whoa - such profound comments from y'all!

Valerie, I am not quite sure what I did to deserve your gracious thanks, but you are very very welcome. I'll be happy to do it for you anytime! (Hmm.. whatever it is I did...).

Rhonda, great compliment, but - trust me, they do look hideous in real life, so you really don't want to grab one and eat it. Unless you wish to get into the barf-blogging business.

Dear
Anonymous, Pfffffffffrrrrrrrrrr!
You just had to do that? come up with 'dem design elements. I guess not taking yer class does not mean I can ignore everything you taught us, Eh?

And,
The JohnnyB, I am speechless!
When have you become such a pretentious highbrowed writer?
You are good! You can be a fancy full-of-it art critique and write appraisals for white-painted canvases at any MOMA...

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.