Google

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

The Quest For The New Laptop


The JohnnyB has been spending a lot of time researching for a new laptop in the last couple of days, due to the
dramatic demise of our laptop on Sunday.


He invested lots of time investigating Consumer Reports, which came up with a Dell laptop as the best choice.
The thing is that, well, we would rather carve fonts on lava rocks with our bleeding fingernails, than buy a Dell ever again.
The laptop we had was Dell.
It was quite a good laptop, but for some peculiar reason, they make this extra special power cord, that gets screwed up, causes the laptop to lose power, causes you to get a thrilling electric shock every time you touch it - until you give up and buy another one. . .
. . . and another one . . .
. . . . . . and then a tiny part comes off and causes a fragrant shortage, bringing an aromatic death upon your laptop at its prime.

And then, you (well, your husband) take the whole laptop apart just to get to this bloody part, and when you try to retrieve the data from the hard disk, you realize it's blocked - and no matter how many times you enter the password, it fails.

So you write to Dell, asking them for the master password, and they reply, "Your warranty is over. You want the password? You pay us a lot of money!", and then they laugh the roaring laughter of the bad guys.

Which is just the time to revert to French and go for a big Pfffffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in their general direction.

Now, it's a known problem.

Quite a few Dell laptop owners have bumped into it, and many more will
But Dell, so it seems, couldn't care less.

They keep producing that special power cord to make sure it gets screwed up, so you buy a new one from them, until eventually the laptop dies because of that faulty part.
Cool for them, but we are not going to be suckers.
Once was more than enough.

So, The JohnnyB decided we should look at other laptops.

And, when he says "we", it's the ultimate royal "we".

I am a very easy-to-please person.
At least when it comes to laptops.
All I want is a working one.
Purple, if possible.
I'll settle for blue.
Or silver.

But The JohnnyB is a connoisseur.
He would not get just any laptop that the unwashed masses buy in a couple of hours, such that you pay for and go home with.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
That is 'cause he understands about computers.

And yes, it's true that I used to be a computer engineer. Studied it for 4 years at the world-renowned Technion, worked as a computer engineer for 9 years, for an even more world-renowned company
(hey, how come 'renowned' has no K?).
But I have so happily moved on and out of it, that I seem to have shed every fragment of knowledge I ever had.
A complete cleansing purification, that at times, leaves The JohnnyB at awe
(though not of the positive type...).

And so, for the past 5 years, a computer for me is this annoying machine that you need to suck up to and beg for it to work, hoping it would not get nasty on you at a crucial time, just because it can.

Anyhow - yesterday we went to Fry's to get a thingy ("it's called a USB hard-drive case", reprimands The JohnnyB from his chair), in order to try and recover the vast information that was stored on our deceased laptop.


While there, we looked at the laptops they had.
And they had.
Quite a lot.
And some real nice ones, too.

Most of them had the take-me-home-with-you look in their virtual eyes.
Obviously, my judgement was mostly dictated by the look of the laptop and the screen saver it had.
You see, I'm the kind of sophisticated customer they love in such stores.
But (un)fortunately, I was accompanied by someone who's just a touch more practical than me.



Wait! stop sneering...
Just to show you that I can be reasonable, like, once a year, let me tell you that in spite of the extreme temptation, I agreed that we should not get one of those stunning Apple laptops. Not only are they white (Ah, but soooooo amazingly gorgeous!), but that would mean purchasing a whole bunch of new Software packages.

As I was looking with yearning eyes at one laptop with an incredible screen resolution and a great design of the 'Enter' key, The JohnnyB went over the reasons why we would not get it:
First, it only has Core Dual - as opposed to Core 2 Dual. (what core? and how dual?? and why do we need 2 of them???).
And, although it has the highly desired 2GHz processor speed, it did not have a 2GB memory. S
hocking, Eh!?

"But this does - and it's a Sony, and for anice price!", I victoriously pointed at another laptop, imagining us sitting cozily hand in hand (me and the latop, not The JohnnyB!!).
I even started to think of a catchy name for it.
"Yeah, but the memory only runs at 533 and not at 667, exclaimed the know-all, shredding my romantic dream to pieces.
Luckily for him, The JohnnyB knows his wife quite well by now, so he immediately pointed out that Sony laptops, trying to imitate the Apple ones, have white keyboards.
Which for me was enough reason to not get it.
No white keyboard for my Painter's fingers.

Towards the end, we saw a charming Toshiba.
"
I want that one!", I tried one last time, but alas - that one did not have the SXGA-whatsit, plus its hard disk was running at 5400 RPM, which is shamefully low, as we all know(?).

And so, we left the store, with onyl the USB-hard-drive-whatshemacallit, and - as a small compensation for the disappointed me - a keychain laser pointer, which I am so going to use at our next critique group meeting! (See, told you I am easy to please).


And so, The JohnnyB went back to researching.

He almost ordered the laptop of his dreams online last evening (Velocity Micro, if you really need to know), but realized with terror that it would only ship on the 25th ('coz - if you've been paying attention - we want the Core 2 Dual, Eh?).
Trying to mitigate this very late date, he went for the "Live Chat" option on their website, launched a question - and never ever heard back from them.
Of course, he may have pushed the wrong button.
But, hey - The JohnnyB only tries once.
It was a very nice laptop, though.
Even came with 3 colorful detachable lids - none purple, but still!!!
And a T-shirt!
(I kid you not!!! they actually send you a T-shirt. XL).

Anyway - pissed at their shipping time, he started looking at another laptop (Gateway).
When I left for my choir group rehearsal, he was in the midst of a vehement debate with the options on their website. . .

But really, I should be grateful that The JohnnyB is looking for a laptop.

If it was up to him, he would invest all his days and nights trying to resurrect the one that died.
Which is fine with me - I can see how it can be fun (well, if I really try, and seriosuly concentrate, I guess I can eventually see that, or at least get a glimpse).


Still, I made a fervent plea to him, that he first looks for a new, living, breathing laptop, before he goes to the black magic of reincarnating the old one.
After all, I know what and who I am dealing with...
I mean, he already got on eBay the tiny part that caused all the mess, and is awaiting its arrival.

"Why don't you take it to those companies that retrieve the contents of hard disks for you?", I asked after he came back from a long struggle with the computer, all dusty and cranky.
"Because they charge $100 for it!!!", he replied, giving me the famous look.

That famous look that's filled with masculine confidence.
Y'know, the one that exudes "WTF do you, little woman, understand in this manly business?".
That same look that means I need to get into a red alert.
The look which signals a great blog is on the way.
Actually, great for you... sighful for me.

'cause it's the very same famous look he gave me when he refused to call the electrician . . .
. . . and later, the firefighters . . .

And it's not because he is cheap.
So far, he spent $20 plus tax on that USB hard disk thingy.
And 12 hours of the rarely sunny first day of 2007.

Plus many of cigarettes.
To no avail.

And for those of you who are about to jump to his defense (you know who you are! Yes, you!!), let me add this little anecdote:
As he was going through the options of the Gateway laptop, The JohnnyB asked me if I think we should go for the 2-year-on-site warranty ($150) or the 3-year-mail-in warranty (also $150).
I did not even bother to activate my brain cells. Why tire the little things?

I knew it was a rhetorical question.
I knew he wouldn't go for either of these two.

"Why not?", you ask, your forehead wrinkled with wonder.
Oh, what an amazing coincidence!

What a Kodak-moment of great-minds-think-alike and other cliches!!
Would you believe that I asked him the very same question!?

And The JohnnyB said: (now, listen carefully to this):

"Because if something goes wrong after the free one year warranty is over, I'll just take it to a local store and have them fix it...".


"?????????????", wondered his doe-eyed wife, speechless with utter astonishment at the sheer lack of realism on his account.
"OK", he corrected himself, with the somewhat-overused smile that always gets him out of trouble, "In case I cannot resolve it myself".


Some dull moments... Is it really too much to ask, for the New Year?

Epilogue:
This blog was almost ready for posting.
Then I came back from my choir group rehearsal, all cheery and humming, to learn that during the 3 hours I was gone, unattainable things have taken place, and an incredible tale is to be told!!!


But - to assure you hear it first-hand, and not as a hearsay, I shall now refer you to the hero of the evening:
The JohnnyB himself, right here.
I hear he is using somewhat more accurate technical details.
And he even posted some cool pictures (courtesy of his lovely wife). . .

Labels: ,


Comments:

HP Pavillion dv9060

Just an idea because I loves teh NewEgg.

Good "Luck" and HNY to both of you!
 

Ha - even I can look at that with dainty disdain and reprimand:
"It's only 5400 rpm"...
Plus, it's not SXGA.
(now, that is scary! I am actually starting to understand!!! Noooooooooooo!!! got to paint more, urgently!).

Thanks, anyway.

But - obviously, you have not read The JohnnyB's story, Eh?

 
would it be patronizing if I said I like BOTH your postings?!
;)
 
...you mean it was too long for one post?...
 
no no...his is a post of fact and technical terms although there is a hint of "emotion". (frustration)
Throughout your entire post there is a sense of "emotion with many feelings"

you know?
One story, two ways.
That'd be like the Johnnyb telling the story of the 3 pigs and then your "artistic" version.
almost like two stories, two stories.
:)
yes?

can you tell it's really late and I'm rambling...sorry.
 
יקירתי ,
המונח הנכון לשם המסחרי הוא CORE 2 DUO
ולא CORE DUAL

נו, אבל מה אפשר לצפות מציירת שגם הולכת למקהלה......
 
Rhonda, Aha, got it.
The two posts of The Johnnyb and moi. Yep, two different angles on the same facts.
Can you tell it's too early for me to write, even a comment?...

,גיל

אם קראת את פניניי בקפידה, היית מבין שזה, כאילו, ממש לא משנה לי איך בדיוק קוראים לזהו.
.דהיינו, אני רוצה לפטופ
.עובד
.שכותב בסגול
- מי שחפצה נפשו בתיאורים מדויקים
.ישים פעמיו לבלוגו של ג'ון

:ואם בהתפלפלויות לשוניות עסקינן
!!!זאת לא מקהלה - זו חבורת זמר
 
MB - would have been funny if I had gone for an AlienWare machine, and then I could have said "Silly Human". :)

Went w/ Velocity Micro L80 instead - no issues to tick me off (like no SXGA, or slow memory, etc), and (a) I get a 5% discount thru my employer, and (b) they don't charge tax to people outside VA.

Naturally, I'm filling out the paperwork to pay the state tax here.
 
LOL! I read his version afterwards, yes. Still, New Egg is a great online place for all things electronic.

The V-Micro looks awesome! And it's always better to have those "options" drop-downs when buying PCs as well.

Sehr Kool!
 
I get "sticker shock" just looking at stuff on AlienWare's site! I'll build my own again first, thank you. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.