Google

Friday, January 12, 2007

 

A Thousand Words - And Then Some #5


I know.


You've probably seen more exciting pictures.
Pictures that portray more intriguing subjects.
Better composed, even.

But - these pictures are very exciting to me, to us, and soon: to you!

Remember - last week we got a replacement monitor instead of the one that was dusted to death by The JohnnyB (also known in some circles as "Johnny The Duster"...)?
Remember it was
crooked?
Remember we sent it back, and Samsung said they would send another replacement?
Remember they even made a special note to make sure they don't screw up again?

They did.

"What d'ya mean they did?", y'all ask.
"Why do you always have to be so ambiguous?? Did send another replacement, or did screw up again???".

Well, yes...
The new refurbished monitor arrived on Tuesday.
Again, like its former, Mr. Crooky, it was very nicely packed, cozily resting between expanding foam and all.

The JohnnyB set it up this morning, stepped back and checked it with the critical eyes of the Yekke anal engineer that he is, and I checked it with the critical eyes of the suspicious being that I am (when it comes to refurbished products and technology in general).

Looks perfect!
Even has a little sticker on the top right, which adds it a sophisticated grace.

Happiness took over.

And so, The JohnnyB carefully packed our own deceased monitor (the one he has so lovingly dusted), and asked me to take it to UPS and ship it back to Samsung, so we can part as friends, let go, move on, and finally put an end to this saga.

UPS only opens at 9:30, so I had time to check some of my favorite blogs.
For some peculiar reason, a couple of them came up empty, only the template showing.
"Damn Blogger", I muttered, and went on to tend to an urgent matter.
(yet another saga, that has to do with us wanting to go on vacation and me not yet having an American passport and some countries in the Caribbean demanding a special visa for the cricket match season - that shall be blogged some other time, or not).

I opened the email that The JohnnyB sent me yesterday, with the contact info of the Grenada consulate, as well as a table of the countries that are exempt from a visa on a regular basis (as in, at non Cricket-related times).
I looked at the email, smiling at the refurbished monitor. I was beginning to like it.
It smiled back - but not quite the way it should have.
Something was wrong. I thought I sensed a hint of evil in its smile.

Examining the email closely, I realized that it does not contain the table as it did yesterday night. Instead, it just had many horizontal lines.
"Interesting", I thought, and entered the website of the Grenada consulate.

Gre-Nada!

Only the template. And an image of a passport. (see the top picutre).
Now, that couldn't have been the Blogger's fault, Eh?

I checked some more websites - some of them had the same problem.
"even more interesting!", I pondered - and opened the refurbished
laptop that was sent to us by Dell and has also arrived on Tuesday.

The email and all the problematic websites appeared perfectly on the laptop, with all the info intact.
(see this picture, showing the cheery Grenada website, in all its tropical glory. Same website.).


Called The JohnnyB, and informed him that again, the lovely people at Samsung have sent us a crappy monitor.
We shall call him Mr. Teasy, as he does not go all the way.
Shows you a bit of what he has, and then says 'No'.

Good thing I did not go to UPS yet

Bad thing that it's the second time we get a bad product.

Like, don't they do any testing in the Samsung labs, when it comers to refurbished monitors?

WTF???

And so, yet again: Thank You, TexieD.
That old modest monitor you have lent us, is getting more and more precious as time goes by...

And you know what?
I think I am starting to lose my sense of humor...



previous 1000 Words... ...next 1000 words

Labels:


Comments:

I still think it's not the monitor, but the video card in the computer, that needs to be reset / adjusted to play happy w/ the digital interface...

Scooter agrees - not that he'll ever read this :)
 

You may very well be right, but it's still not 100% OK, Eh?

As for Scooter's point of view on things:
He who refuses to read my blog,
his opinion does not counteth.

 
definitely not a monitor problem.
monitors do not have the brain to selectively not display items.
make sure monitor is correctly defined on graphics card driver.
Samsung are the best LCD monitors manufacturers.
you need a monitor/graphics card test utility.
 
Yeah, apparently, it was more of a The JohnnyB shortcut that stirred this hornet's nest. (changing from Analog to Digital connection in a non-proper way).
Still, once that was fixed, the monitor is not displaying the resolution and dimensions it should.

Samsung might be the best monitor manufacturers, but they are not the best when it comes to product testing, Eh?
Ha, joy!!!

 
again, not the monitor (brain etc.)
if the monitor can support the resolution you want (say 1280*1024, 32 bit color) it is up to the definitions of the graphics card alone to generate the correct signal to the monitor.
in some cases you may have to install a monitor driver that identifies the monitor to the system.
for a monitor test see:
http://net.nana.co.il/Article/?ArticleID=419723&sid=127
 
oh, and using Norton and Outlook Express???
Please...
I can sympathize with the monitor for not wanting to show certain items.
 
and Internet Explorer on the Dell?????
 
Wait - the deceased monitor was identical, and worked perfectly fine with the current settings of the computer and the graphics card and all. This refurbished monitor seems to me like a troublemaker.

And we're talking 1600x1200.

Well, we can always dust it...
Thanks, though!

I have never ever heard (read) you go for such a vehement defense speech about anything. You have stock options in Samsung or somsing

 
Well, I sense a hint of judgmental resentment towards the applications we choose to use.
Now, that's more like you!

 
a few final thoughts before i turn in (it is after 1am after all):
1. identical monitors my ... (check carefully for all the letters in the model name)
2. you have connected the analog monitor in between so plug&play could have played a roll in changing definitions
3. why assume that the analog connection and the digital connection have the same definitions?
4. i have a samsung monitor myself
5. i am tired and going to sleep
 
1. Yep, same model. I checked. Trust me...

2. 3. 4. Yeah, whatever.
I'm an artist. I dunno!
I want dem computers to work - that's it!

5. Sleep tight.
Don't let nightmares of Outlook/ Norton/IE bite.

 
Techie-smeckie! Everyone knows that computers have built in code to confound intelligent beings, delete data and befuddle users at:
A2xxxF4000.ISO*1~ha*ha/Go/Tcha/dum1

But one thing you said made me blench: "I'm losing my sense of humor." A humorless Nava is unthinkable; it would change the world of blogging as we know it.
 
Oh good lord. Just plug in the analog cable you were using on the last monitor and see if it works.
 
Well, y'all:
John has been fighting the mighty monitor/computer/whatsit for 6 hours now, with every trick he could think of - and to no avail!

And so, to all the smartasses who kept making fun of me for being so stupid thinking that it's the monitor, as "it has no brain" - well, it may have no brain, but I do!
The JohnnyB is quite certain it IS the monitor!!!

Apologies will be accepted at this site, thankyouverymuch.

 
It's a lot easier for people to say long distance that you're trouble-shooting wrong, but I believe you Nava. I would believe just about anything of most technology equipment these days. Most of it can't be trusted! In the interest of time, money, and sanity, I really hope Samsung gets it right, eventually.

I will say, however, (and not to you personally, but as general advice for anyone who values her sanity) next time, buy Mac. Thanks to Boot Camp, you can run Microsoft Windows, and all of the accompanying programs on a beautiful Apple computer (you thought your first monitor had a nice smile!!). And of course, they are top-rated for customer service, etc, etc, etc. Macs Rule!
 
I may have missed it (most likely even) but did anybody reboot?

(heheh.. Sorry. Sounds so aggravating that humor has got to be necessary.)

Does that monitor work when plugged into the back of the laptop?

Good luck. {sigh}
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.