Google

Monday, December 03, 2007

 

Sentence of The Month: December

The doorbell rang.

Looking through the window, I saw two teenaged girls at the door, assuming that tiresome we-want-your-money position.

I was in a bad mood. I didn't even open the door.

"Yes?", I said impatiently.

"Ah...", squeaked the one who was playing with her hair, "...we were wondering: did someone already knock on your door today and, with an annoying voice, already ask you to - - - "

I cut her in mid-sentence. I wasn't in the mood for pretense cutesiness; as a matter fact, I was in no mood for anything, so I pointed at the very strict "No Soliciting" sign that adorns our kitchen window.

Her eyes filled with question marks.

"We have a 'No Soliciting' sign - right here, see?", I combined pointing with close captioning.

"Huh?", she pondered, chewing on her hair.

"W-e . h-a-v-e . a . 'N-o . S-o-l-i-c-i-t-i-n-g' . s-i-g-n", I repeated, slower, giving her the benefit of the accent (mine).

"I thought that means 'No Smoking'?!", she shared her profound thoughts with me, still chewing.

So much for benefit... Plus, by now, I figured the two of them were finalists in the blank expression contest.

"No", I volunteered to educate the uninitiated, "it pretty much means do-not-knock-on-our-door-offering-us-something".

"Huh?", she started chewing on a new lock of hair, moving to a philosophical debate, "are you sure it does not mean 'No Smoking' in Spanish?".

(OK, a disclaimer here: I realize it could have been a wonderful opportunity for a highly amusing conversation. And yet - did I mention I was not in the mood?)

"I have no idea what it means in Spanish", I said, "but in English it means DO NOT KNOCK ON OUR DOOR OFFERING US ANYTHING!". Oh yeah, I can be a bitch.

Three interesting facts:

1. Not for a second did the talkative teenager stop chewing her hair. (alas, her friend had too short a hair to join her in the feast)

2. Only when I turned my back to them, I realized they were not only finalists, but very probably the winners of that expression contest. Why? 'cause they did not just go for a blank, empty expression. Oh no. They went way beyond it.

3. This charming conversation did not cheer me up as much as I thought it should.


previous Sentence of The Month... ...next Sentence of The Month

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:

Well, it made ME laugh! lol ...

No smoking ... omg.
 

Great conversation.

I wonder what their version of it would be. "Some lady with an accent told us not to smoke and we didn't even have our cigerettes out."

Funny, yet frightening.
 
Only I do not think they'd use the word 'lady' in their version... ;-)

It was almost frightening, indeed.

 
You need make a sign with a person with that same dumb expression and put it in one of those red circles with the slash through it, then for good measure, also post one with a cigarette and a slash through it.

Or change your sign to "No Stupidity"
 
We also have a very explicit sign (no salespeople, lawn-mowers, leaf-rakers, or snow-shovelers, and I'm thinking of adding Jehovah's Witnesses) just in case they don't know what solicitor means, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I like Blueberry's suggestion.

Our municipality also requires a solicitor's license, but I've yet to have anybody produce one.
 
wild, n.

you gottem too. i guess those two are probably just entering post traumatic stress. they'll have bad dreams for 18 months and never be able to knock on a door again.

strangely teenage girls don't actually bother me and try to sell me anything.

can't think why. must be the blonde scalps hanging from my belt.

i have a blogger etiquette issue that i need to consult you on. could you please check the last place you left a comment for me.

peace and love
 
Blueberry, Charming idea - both the dumb expression sign and the smoking one, just to be in the safe side.

Mysterious EmeraldEyes, welcome to my blog! We have too small a house for such an elaborate sign ;-)

Harpwales, Blond scalps hanging from your belt - now THAT's efficient. I am assuming those scalps are of teenagers who insisted on smoking on your premises...
 
You cut the story off too sooooooon. I need resolution. Was there a door slam? Was there more confusion? Was there a spanish profanity said under their breath? Come on!!!
 
Daniel - you're alive!!!

OK then, just for you:
There was no door slam; I never opened the door for them.
There was a lot more confusion in their eyes as I turned my back to them and ended the conversation.
And no, I don't think they speak Spanish. C'mon, learning a second language does require some brain activity!

 
oh you sound much like myself yesterday!

cheers?!
 
lol! indeed!

But, I mean seriously, you really don't like talkin' to shmucks who come a'knockin' to sell you stuff? Really?! I mean, like, not even Teh Witnesses? Or Teh Mormons?

Wow...

Oh well. Musta justa been that mood.

:)
 
SEE MY BLOG!!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.