Google

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

 

Art Pact #71 - You Can Leave Your Hat On

(Also published on "Unchain My Art")

Last week's figure class was with the dreaded 3-hour pose.

Why dreaded? because - as opposed to short poses - a long pose pretty much guarantees that the model will go for the most comfortable position s/he can assume.

That ultimately means no creative poses, no spontaneity, no fun gestures. They just gloomily gaze into space, looking stiff, frozen-faced and formal, thus not very inspiring.

And so, the model (named Ogden) sat in a chair.

For three hours; that translates into many 20 minutes sessions with 5-minute breaks in between. Yup, same damn pose!

But - he had a hat on. And he had nice lighting on his face, so I went for a portrait.

I have to say, the more portraits I do, the more I realize that I am getting worse in the non-portrait parts, as in backgrounds and anything that is not a face.

Hmm... something to work on.

previous ArtPact... ...next ArtPact

Labels: ,


Comments:

In this painting I see a reminiscent man. A man reminiscing on why he agreed to do a 3-hr pose.

What else could someone think about in the same situation for 3 hours? Unless he found himself attracted to one of the artists. Then he'd have three hours to come up with the most incredible come-on line.
 

Daniel, he tried a come-on line with me, but it was lame. Maybe 'coz it was after only one hour.
 
Wow! I have to know what it was.
 
He asked with a very husky voice whether my painting has made it into the Statewide Watercolor Competition at the museum. I think my sex appeal went down significantly when I gave him an honest answer (y'see, visualization doesn't always work...), as he seems to have lost interest. Shame, really. He is such a good gazer.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.