Google

Thursday, December 07, 2006

 

Days Like This...


What a day!!!

After going to sleep at 02:30 last night (because I could, that's why!), I somehow managed to get up in time, and decided to go ahead and go on a paint-out day, at the Presentation Center, way down in the Santa Cruz mountains.

It was very straightforward getting there, and took only 30 minutes.
85 South, then 17 South, and then 2.5 miles on the insanely uphill-winding Bear Creek road.
On a normal day, that would be a fun drive.
Only today, with the remains of my cold, plus my deadtiredness, that little ride did not make my dizzy head very happy.
But I made it.

The Presentation Center is - apparently - an incredible place.


Quite rustic, very unpretentious, beautiful grounds, giant trees, heartbreakingly stunning in their post-fall colors, adobe buildings scattered all over the place - a haven for painters and photographers, and actually for anyone.




Just strolling around makes you feel on vacation, to the point that puts that idiotic grin on your face.

And, it was sooooooooooo warm and sunny!

December 7th, you hear "I'm Dreaming of A White Christmas" everywhere you turn - and we got a tan!


This place is really something else!

You can have a conference, party, lunch, dinner, they have rooms, you can just come and stroll the grounds.

Next time you want something different, check it out.
Whether it's during the week or on a weekend.


Apparently, not only is this place gorgeous, it's also packed with history.
Packed, I tell ya.

- - - - - - - -

OK, now I am getting this smirk on my face...
...
and that would probably expand to the faces of some of my readers from far far away.

So let me just say this:

Among other things, it took me a very long time to get used to the usage of the word "history" in the USofA.
Here, a 200 year old building becomes a historical marker, and many places proudly claim "In business since 1950", which means they wallow in history.

And, hmm, how shall I put it gently: where I come from, history goes, well, a bit further.
Just a touch, y'know.

"Hey, when it comes to Western society, we go as far as 400 years!", reprimands The JohnnyB.
Yeah, well... that's
nice.
How's that working for ya?

- - - - - - - -

Anyway - that presentation Center used to be a school for boys, and they used to have ladders between the different floors of the buildings and all - must have been a very fun place!
Now they have staircases and other modern niceties, but the remodeling was done so that the place still retains its character and charm.
And it has a lot of both.


At some point, I realized it's actually a catholic place (well, that explains the crosses all around), but they welcome anyone through their gates.

I mean, really welcome.

And everyone!

There is even a sign that says "Welcome" in 15 or 16 languages (with an excruciating typo in Hebrew...).


Anyway - we had a fun day, a bunch of us painting, and BlaineyC hung with us for lunch.
BlaineyC used to be the leader of our watercolor society and is now the marketing person of the center.

She's got one fun job, that's for sure!

She gave three of us a tour of all the rooms and buildings, and brought us to the little charming chapel, where I made a highly bloggable mistake, which I cannot talk about, as it may offend some of the readers...


No, really.

Honestly, I cannot tell you.


Oh, OK, what the heck!

Better me telling you the actual version, and the whole truth, than The JohnnyB raving about his retarded wife and taking some artistic license...

So, here goes:

Y'see, in the little chapel, in a little corner, there stood a little table.
And on the little table, there was a little crystal candy-jar.
And next to it, there lived a little bottle-thingy.

I thought it contained olive oil (it looked like olive oil, OK?!?), and I was wondering (loudly, alas):
"Why would they put olive oil in such a little bottle?".

More than that - why would they have balsamic vinegar in a candy jar?

And why isn't the balsamic vinegar darker?

And why does it look like it has crumbs in it?

And then, Oh dear dear readers, as I got closer, I saw it was more like, well... kinda... very... flat... cookies... like, wafers... y'know?

Yep.
Told ya!

Well, I do have the ultimate excuse for this unforgiving ignorance.
And yet, BlaineyC and the other two took way too long a time to get over the laughter.

Good thing I was brought up to be so well-behaved, and didn't touch anything.
Bad thing I actually opened my mouth.
Silence is sometimes priceless.
Indeed.

Perhaps I should have started this post a bit differently: "A Catholic, a Unitarian, an Atheist and a Jew go into a chapel"...
A-n-y-w-a-y - look at the time...


Then it was time to head back home.

Winding road went fine.

17 North went fine.

85 North went fine. . . .

. . . but something seemed a bit weird.

And, as I saw the sign that cheerfully informed me "Oakland, 33 miles", I got somewhat uneasy, but kept on driving, sticking to my eternal optimism.
When I arrived at Mission Ave, in Fremont, I figured that perhaps I have gone a bit too far north.
And East.
And away from where I was heading.

Not that I have something against Fremont.
A lot of lovely people live there.
In fact, some of our very best friends live there.
Fremont is a very, very nice place.
Very.
But not when you need to get to Los Altos for a haircut!

Cussing with all my might, I drove back, without getting a ticket (that's the miracle of the day! perhaps all the good energy from the Presentation Center was protecting me). and made it just in time for the shearing.
My hair designer, however, could hardly do the job, as she was laughing so hard at the scenic route I took.
Yeah, VandieA, it's always funny when it happens to someone else, ain't it?

Other than that, the haircut was uneventful.

But then I got a deep cut in my thumb when I put my hand into my purse to get the wallet out (I still have no idea what caused this cut), and with a blood-dripping hand, I drove my poor-fuzzy-diddumed self (a-la ValieM) home, just to realize that I forgot my earrings at the salon.
If you happen to go there, (and I couldn't recommend it more!!!), would you please get them for me?

'cause I ain't no drivin' nowhere in the near future!




*** P.S. the photos so nonchalantly attached to this post, as if it's the most trivial thing in the world, took about 6 hours to download.
They are the very first pictures shown to the world, taken by
LumiB, and I somehow managed to screw the card during the download... We almost decided to reset the card, but
LexieV, who was visiting from England, has saved the day, big time, and from now on he shall be known as The God of Hacking.
But that is a whole different story, that shall hopefully be blogged by The JohnnyB.

When offered the idea, he snapped - good-tempered as always: "I will blog it if and when I feel like it".

. . .OK then.

I am going to officially put an end to this day.
It's been way too long and evenful.

Layla Tov. (means, Good Night, in the language of the land with real history).

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Gal: well, you should add a PND to your Christmas (I know, I know) wish list.
Nava: what the hack is a PND?
Gal: it is a little gadget that helps navigational impaired people (aka personal navigation device). Financially, the return on the investment is very quick (time, nerves, yelling, fighting, gas, maintenance, tickets...)

And btw, very nice pics, and a hilarious cookie joke....
 

I thoroughly resent the subtle hint that I might sometimes perhaps be navigationally impaired.

'cause I am not.

I just choose the scenic routes.

We have some friends with those GPS and the likes.
They all got to the point that they cannot even go potty without that thingy.
Not me.
No squeaky-voiced PND will tell me which road to take.

 
Nava ~
beautiful pictures!
Just what I needed this morning...as I'm feeling a bit weary from the week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.