Google

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

 

Romance a-la The JohnnyB

The JohnnyB is quite multilingual at times.
That is, he can look smart in other languages, to some extent.

Last evening, I wrote something in Hebrew, and he decided to try and read it.
He did a pretty good job (my spleen has only split twice during the event).

Then he reached the word "אנא".

"What does 'אנא' mean?", wondered The JohnnyB.

"It's a nice way to say 'please'", I educated him.

"Ah!!!",
lit his hazel eyes,
"as in 'אנא הינשאי לי'".
(Meaning: "Please marry me").

"W-H-A-T?",
I genuinely astonished.

"Yeah, that's one of the first things I learned to say in Hebrew, when I was on relocation. From a waitress in a pub", he reminisced.
"She taught me one sentence, and then I asked her what other sentences are important to know. That was the second one".

"And what was the first one?", I inquired, expecting a great pick-up line or something of the sort.

"'עוד חצי'", he said, proudly.
(meaning, "one more half".
As in half a liter.
As in, beer.)

"And only now, after more than 4 years of marriage, you remembered you could have proposed to me in Hebrew?!?", I choked, reverting to a shrill.

"Yup", he nonchalanted, ever so minnesotanly, and proceeded outside to smoke.

That's The JohnnyB.
Romantic as (n)ever.

Thanks, Amir, for pointing out that this should be blogged, despite the lingual barriers.

Labels:


Comments:

Must have been a lapse in memory.

I used to remember it quite well - until I actually learned some Hebrew.

And stopped drinking as much.

Tips for you women -
beer makes you sexy.
Bringing a guy a beer makes you even more sexy.
Going away, and letting him enjoy it - priceless!

Must have been why I proposed to that waitress so much.

:)
 

So... how come she never accepted?
 
"That is, he can look smart in other languages, to some extent."

That's good, cuz he certainly has not mastered looking smart in English.

"So... how come she never accepted?"

Even waitresses have standards.
 
This coming from CherkyB, who's blog title says "Something not to do &trade 5".

Don't know if that looks like (tm) to you, but it doesn't to many of us.
 
After several times of using "Another half", it does not matter in what language you propose... and who is the subject of your proposal. Until you wake up, of course.
 
Interesting. Firefox renders HTML correctly, but Internet Explorer does not - only in the title line. It gets it right in the body.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.