Google

Sunday, March 11, 2007

 

...And You Didn't Come


Had the reception for our exhibit at Redwood City today. Y'know, the one I was raving about.

It's my second time to participate in a show, and I still get very excited by the mere fact that my work is represented next to the others. My main art is painting, but since this show allowed us to put anything we want, I took the opportunity and entered a sculpture (carved limestone) and a photographic assemblage, of photos I took in Grenada.

The reception was fun.


There is something very thrilling about seeing someone approach your work and examine it thoroughly, not just give it one look and move on. And I was very happy to see that several people spent quite a while in front of my sculpture, and studied my photo-thingy, which had 10 not-too-bad (as they say in Minnesota) photographs of Grenadian people, with those wonderful intensive colors of Grenada.
The show overall looks incredible, and very impressive.

And yet, most of those who came and enjoyed the art and the food were artists.

Hardly any guests!

I sent my invitation to about 20 people.
Two of them informed me they cannot attend, another one is insanely busy with buying a new house, and will try to find the time to go see the show sometime, and only one bothered to show up.

Even The JohnnyB did not come - but he has a very good reason: he's been sick for the past few days, religiously chanting "Don't you see I'm sick?" and looking miserable. Over time, he has polished and fine-tuned this miserable I-am-so-sick look to a state of the art perfection. Truly impressive.


(For those of you who have not yet had the joy of getting to know the facet of The JohnnyB as a sick person, you are welcome to refer to this educating documentation.

FYI, Furious: not quite the perfect man on such occasions).

So, The JohnnyB was exempt.

Now, let me give you a tip right here: if any of you readers have a friend who is an artist, and they invite you to the reception of a show they are part of - don't ever just ignore their invitation.
All the more so if it's a solo show.

You have no idea how disappointing it is.


For an artist, showing something s/he created pretty much equals to putting their soul out there. If they invite you, it means they want to share it with you, to have you participate in this important part of their life. Not even bothering to respond, well, is pretty much saying "I don't give a fuck about what's important to you", which, like, y'know, doesn't quite contribute to the friendship.


Can't or don't want to come to the reception? Let them know that you are not going to be there. Save them the anticipation, and the scanning of the door whenever someone is entering the gallery.

Just so you know.

Interesting, I didn't realized I was so pissed until I actually got to the middle of this blog.
Here's to Blog-therapy.
Cheaper than a counselor, Eh?

Labels: ,


Comments:

Sorry. I was out of town.
 

I am sure you'll rush to see it once you're back in town.
right?

 
Will it be there on Wednesday the 28th?
 
Now you walked into it, CherkyB!
 
now I feel terrible...
 
although on a note to cheer myself up. I never got a personal invitation.
 
Rhonda - "To Err Is Human, To Forgive Divine".
I shall be divine in your case. :-)

Interesting, how the usage of the word "You" makes everyone feel guilty and go on an apologetic quest.
This is fun!!

 
CherkyB - that hurts!
That just hurts!!

I said here that it's until March 31st.

Doesn't anyone read what I write?

My turn to pout now.

 
Maybe we don't all sit down and memorize your posts. You know which of us reads them and how long we each spend reading them.

Thing is, I was looking at my invitation, and it didn't say how long the show went for. It didn't say much of anything.
 
Just found this blog, and really like this post. Am finally going to attempt to have some sort of "art" show this year, and it scares the crap out of me. Thanks for your heartfelt writing about it. Would love to see your art, and will check your blog more to see if I can. :-)
 
I think I'll just take JohnnyB's advice and pretend I won't actually be in town in two weeks.

I'll just go out drinking. By myself.
 
Do you post any of your stuff online? I have no idea where you live but I doubt its North Carolina. But by off chance you live in NC, I'll come without a personal invitation. :)
 
CherkyB, you forgot to add "Alone. In the dark. Uphill. Both ways".
 
Blogauthor, it's sunny California. But you can still come, Eh?
 
And, welcome to my blog, Rrramone!

Having an art show is quite scary (OK, it's scary as hell!) but it's extremely exciting and rewarding, so go for it!
(Says me, who only showed twice so far, both times in the sheltering and supporting environment of group shows.)
You are very welcome to check out my art-related blogposts here.

 
Look at that young crowd in the photo :)

Wow, you really opened my eyes to the inner workings of an art reception invitation. I never realized how much it meant. Don't get me wrong, I always go. But now it will mean more for me as well
 
Daniel, well, since it's not about videos and installations, our crowd (and us) are not 20-year-olds. Honestly, I am not crushed by that.

I have to say that since I got into the world of art, I have revealed how much more fun older people can be. It's very refreshing to finally be around people who do not put on layers of masks and beat around the bush and have-a-nice-day you to death.

People of the older ages actually say what they really think (well, if you choose the right one to hang with). So there.

Glad to have touched one stray soul out there. :-)

 
I love your art and your personality. I am also a older person, actually I'm Rhonda's Mom.
Wanted to introduce myself for awhile now. You brighten my days!
 
Hello Jeani, how fun to have you join us!! you just be having a great time reading Rhonda's blog, too. :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.