Google

Monday, April 16, 2007

 

Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind


Got pulled over today, by a cop!

For the very first time!!

I am here for just over 5 years, been here on several business trips before moving here, and - being the honorable truthful person that I am - I cannot quite attest that I've always kept the speed limit.

And yet - this is my very first encounter with the law.
(well, actually, it's the second.
The first time was when I called 911 by mistake, without even knowing I did, and 20 minuets later, three cops with drawn pistols and two police cars in the background were at the door... but that's another story...).


There I was, today, on a gorgeous shiny afternoon, driving back from my trip to the art store, with additional paint and brayers in the trunk.

I was speeding.

Not outrageously, mind you! Pretty much like anyone else.

I cheerfully sped along, as I caught a glimpse of a motorcycle in my rearview mirror, about 3 cars behind me. And the motorcyclist, y'know, seemed a big official.

To be on the safe side, I switched to the right lane, and slowed down, as he switched to the left lane, slowing down himself.

I kept driving at a decent speed, with the most innocent face I could dig out of my repertoire, awaiting him to start the audio visual show of lights and siren.

Nothing.

"Cool", I thought, "He was not after me, after all!".

Wrong!!!

I looked to my left, and noticed that he has slowed down even more, and was saying something, in addition to waving his hands in a weird way.

I was very tempted to cheerfully wave back, but I pulled over, rolled down my window, and looked at him curiously. Hey, these cops really do look like on TV: nice and friendly and cordial and all.

He stopped near me, almost smiled, and said
"You slowed down just in a nick of time, didn't you?".

Now, in such cases, the best thing is to just surrender. No use arguing, Eh? Especially when I knew I was sinful.
Plus, he didn't even call me 'Ma'am'. I was starting to like him a lot!


I smiled a guilty smile and said, "Yes, I did. I am sorry", feeling my face lighting up in a graceful hue of vermilion.

"You were this close to getting a ticket", he pantomimed with two fingers, and added, "Slow down".

"Thank you", I said
('Thank you'!? 'THANK YOU'!??! what a dumb response!!).


"You see", he continued to mused, ignoring the fact that he is creating a serious traffic hazard with the two of us chatting like that on the shoulder of the quite narrow road, "When I see a car doing zigzags like you did, I go after it and give a ticket".

The Queen of Zigzags apologized, yet again.

"Slow down", he repeated with a lawful voice yet in a very benevolent fatherly manner.

"I will", I promised with doe eyes, and we parted as friends.

No ticket.

He took off, continuing his quest for other dangerous speed delinquents, and, after a surprisingly short while of waiting for someone to let me get back into traffic, I continued to drive.

The cop was out of sight - - -

- - -

- - - - - -


- - - - - - - - - - - -and yet, I drove just at speed limit all the way back home.


'cause he was so nice.


Damn, it's slow to be a good law-abider!!!



Labels: , ,


Comments:

Caved in to The Man pretty quickly, huh? What happened to Speaking Truth to Power?
 

you were lucky.

I'm curious to know how the conversation would have went if he was a big ass and gave you a ticket?

:)
 
Apparently, I am lucky. TexieD called to say that it could have easily been a matter of $200-$300.

Had he given me a ticket, I think I would have just been super-polite and head-nodding. Hey, I deserved to get a ticket, what can I say?

It probably happened for a reason, to give me a warning that I should think before racing on the road like that.

 
Now that you've successfully gotten out of a ticket, your next assignment for adjusting to American life is to get out of jury duty. :)
 
Turtar, I am not yet a citizen (just mastering procrastination in applying for that).
So, no jury duty yet...

 
Someday you'll have the pleasure of explaining to a judge why you should be allowed to go home. . . . :)

I've never actually been called to jury duty myself--never lived in the same place long enough. Maybe someday I can get out of jury duty, too.
 
Wow.. that was nice of that cop. I have had a few run ins with the law , I usually get out of the ticket.. Maybe I look innocent. I know I am a speed demon. I have no choice to slow down now. I always have my children with me. With them I always abide the law... PS jury duty no fun. But just like most of my tickets I got out of mine the last time I was called. I guess I am just lucky. I will not boast about it.. dont want the tables to turn on me..
 
You are lucky! Got out of a ticket without crying or flirting (or being called "Ma'am").

So... have you starting speeding and zigzagging again? ;-)

Guilt works wonders when it comes to making us behave (or is it fear?).
 
Where you wearing a short skirt or a low cut top? This always works for me. Bawahahaha!
 
No, I think I just don't look like a bad person.
Plus, I was very honest, and did not even try to argue my way out.

I dunno.

 
what an exciting story?

This reads like some sort of quirky romantic comedy or a stalker horror. The dialogue is too perfect for this to be a one-time encounter. You will see him again. The question is, next time will he be holding a bouqet of flowers or an axe!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.