Google

Sunday, January 06, 2008

 

ArtPact #46

(Also published on "Unchain My Art")

Our annual party is coming up - and we are celebrating the 40th birthday of the watercolor organization. One of the fun things in the party is the painting exchange: members who wish to participate bring a matted painting (original, not a print), and get someone else's painting in return.

No, you don't get to choose... it's a lottery thing. Which means you may end up with an incredible painting, and you may end up with, well, not. The same goes for your own painting: whoever gets it may be totally thrilled with it, hang it in their house and treasure if forever and ever, or they may just shove it someplace or even toss it in the garbage on the way home.

So how do you select a painting to give? Do you choose your best work? Do you choose your worst? It needs to be an artwork that you feel comfortable to have your name associated with it, like enough to sign your name on and not worry about it being perceived as hideous. On the other hand, it shouldn't be a painting that you absolutely love and want to put in a show.

Tricky. Very tricky.


WebbieM suggested that I take a painting I really like, and make another version of it.

This idea is based on the known fact that you can never ever reproduce a successful painting; so this way you are bound to get something close enough that you don't mind giving away.

Good advice, Eh?

Only problem: being the ultra-spontaneous painter that I am, I would go nuts if I tried to copy one of my paintings. Instead, I decided to take a painting that is just OK, and upgrade it so it's good enough to be exchangeable.

Took the first version of the
Sikh man, and worked on it for an hour or so.

It turned out much better. In fact, it turned out so much better than it became too good to give away... I think I am still too attached to this image, so the mere idea of someone getting it and not appreciating it - - - no way!

.

Back to square one.

I browsed through the pile of past unfinished paintings I have, and bumped into the ones I did in Don Andrews' workshop, where the infamous sarong saga took place. I did several paintings in that workshop, none of them got to be finished nor turned out successful, so I decided it's time to take one of them and improve it. I chose the one of FergieJ who modeled for us when the paid model stormed out of the workshop.

The original was a nude painting, but since we're talkin' painting exchange, I figured I might as well dress her up a bit, as some people have an issue with nudes. (Yes, even some artists. Go figure).

Worked on it quite a bit, touched and changed, accentuated and blurred, and got lost in the process. It was great fun!

As for the result - I'm thrilled with the fact I've actually managed to keep the colors vibrant and not tone them down completely (as I tend to do); I like the composition much better than the original one; I love the texture - - - Uh Oh, do I like it too much to give away, again?

Y'know, I'm putting an end to this impossible quest of finding a good-enough-yet-not-too-good painting.

I hope that whoever gets to have it will like it. I do.


previous ArtPact ... ...next ArtPact

Labels: ,


Comments:

I have a friend who is a wonderful painter and he no longer gives any of his paintings away for any reason. He gave one to his sister once and she threw it in the back of her pickup truck and it bounced around back there for years. He gave one to his mother and she was so embarrassed she hung it on the inside of a closet door. But if you do have to give one away, always go with the nude. That way if they "throw it in the trash on the way home" some homeless person might find it and treasure it for the rest of his days, featuring it on a prominent wall in his cardboard house.
 

Good thinking, Neil! Too late for this one, but I'll keep it in mind :-)

Only - the thought of a homeless person "featuring it on a prominent wall in his cardboard house" is giving me chills - cardboard is not archival!!!

 
The sikh man turned out great! I like the other two as well - including the unfinished one. Any of these would be a treasure to receive.

Isn't part of creation releasing at some point?

So...what did you get in the exchange??
 
lovely.
 
I think FergieJ would love to get Dressed up in the exchange. As the Pres, I think you should rig it!
 
Hey, where did my comment go? I was sure I posted. Anyway, I really love the abstract one in the middle. You are starting to remind me somewhat of Nancy Tuttle May, a local artist in Durham who is our favorite.

And, by the way, never fear, your first sold piece of art is framed and on our fireplace mantle! I need to send a photo of it to you soon.
 
To clarify, wasn't implying you deleted it or anything, I must have gotten distracted while I was commenting before. Never mind me!
 
Simple Blog Writer, good point about releasing being part of creation. The exchange is on Saturday - until then, it's a big mystery!

Rhonda, Thanks!

JohnnyB, so, now if FregieJ does get it, I'm the main suspect... Naaaa, I think it's too realistic for her.

Blogauthor, so - you love the one I considered unfinished and worked hours to turn into a "proper" painting... Hmm.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.