Google

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

 

A Thousand Words - And Then Some #19

Sometimes even I find myself putting down the camera. Hard times call for sacrificing documentary photography in order to grab weapons of mass destruction.

In short:

One ant on our bedroom ceiling. Rest her soul. During this discovery, I was talkin' on the phone to LimaB, who had a field day on me getting freaked about it.

Apparently, my gut feeling was correct. It always is.

Went out to the garage to fetch something from the drier - - -

- - - and a small section of the floor was practically moving. Lo and behold: a trail of ants from underneath a shelf in the garage was trekking all the way to the other end, up the garage sink leg and upwards along the wall. Some of them were very big and different in shape, which means it was a popular venue to which the VIPs of the nest also came, black-tie, valet parking and all (not sure it was the queen, though). They all seemed to really like Miracle Grow, which made me ponder - but I did not stop to have a chat about their queer taste. I prefered to put them all in the RIP state of being.

Investigating where they may come from was in vain. Outside, the sky was blue and the birds were chirping and the world looked innocent and totally ant-less.

Only then I saw some of those critters rushing out of our cactus planter.

"It's been a while since I've last watered the cacti", I thought, and poured a glass of water into one of them - - -

<--------- - - - - - - and that was the immediate result.

WHOA!!!

Swarming is an understatement.

A MAJOR understatement.

Y'see, this plant is a light green cactus. See the delightful blossoms on top of its finger-like thingies?

These are about seven thousand sixty nine billion three hundred seventy two million four thousands five hundred and sixty three ants.

Could be sixty four. It was hard to tell - they were moving fast! What am I, Rain Man?

By all means, click on the photo to see it larger and up close while you're sitting at your safe ant-less house. (not a bad macro photo for someone in an acute shock, eh?)

Not sure if that is the source, but The JohnnyB is going on a quest for that Combat thingy that CherkyB recommended.

So . . . anyone knows a pet store that's carrying ant eaters?

.

previous 1000 Words... ...next 1000 words

Labels: , , ,


Comments:

WOW!!

(You are very funny. The number thing cracked me up.)
 

ורק אמא שילנו היתה הולכת המטבחה שופתת מים, הרבה מלןת'לפים מים, מרתיחה ושופכת על הנמלים לא לפני הערה בכלל לא אגבית: מסכנות! כואב הלב!! נעשה לי קר!!! וכמו שאת זוכרת - הן פשוט לא חזרו למטבח. כמה פשוט - ככה יעיל
 
My skin crawls when I see thousands of those determined little evil creatures. Where I stay in Campell they inhabit a plant that gets rained on - yet still when I water it the come out in huge numbers - presumably to plan my demise in the middle of the night. Its like they move in and out of it. They are creepy.
 
by the way - you should see an old movie from the 70's called Phase IV. It is a movie about how ants take over the world - they feed the new pesticides to the queen so that the new ant babies become immune to all human intervention. Then they kill all the humans except 2. You have to see the movie to figure out why because it is unclear. It is like they mate for the ants from that point forward. Every time I see a ton of ants - I think of that movie.
 
Here is a website about Phase IV!!
http://www.1000misspenthours.com/reviews/reviewsn-z/phaseiv.htm
 
Aaaaack!!!
 
SBW, Blueberry I second that, bit time! It was both a WOW!! and an Aaaaack!!!.

Lorraine, Ahm.. I don't think I'm gonna see that movie. Nooooooooooooooooooooo. I found the trailer on YouTube, and even that was too much.

and dear Anonymous (my sister!!), Yup, boiling water are indeed a very efficient remedy.
 
omigosh Nava
My skin is crawling........
itching here....
ooooohhhhh my......
kfjkdsla;jiobluk!
 
ACK!!!!

These actually appear to be carpenter ants, although I don't know the scale of the photo so I can't say for sure. But your description also squares with carpenter ants. If they are carpenter ants, you MUST get rid of them, they can be very destructive.

ACK!!! That just makes my skin crawl.
 
What are their names?

'->
 
I'm afraid this is a battle you're not going to win.

And what's this ad for adopting Chinese babies? That's insanity.
 
So, did The JohnnyB manage to find the good stuff?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.