Google

Saturday, February 17, 2007

 

ArtPact #10


Ah, it's good to be home.

It's even better when there's a routine to get back to.
And to me, that is mostly what makes it home: the fact that I have people and things to come back to. After almost 5 years here, I think it does start to feel like home.

And part of this routine is the monthly advanced portrait workshop.

Today's lesson was about facial expressions. Our instructor, WackieM, provided us with photos she took of a very animated speaker, who spoke at our holiday party. Looking at the photos, you can see him covering most of the expression spectrum: from happy to amused to indifferent to disgusted to angry to sad to, well, constipated...
And you'd wonder: what was he talking about, that made him so emotionally involved? why is he so mad and agitated and all those other extreme moods that he clearly shows?
He spoke of what makes art. great,. as opposed to a pretty picture. Obviously, he was feeling quite strongly about this subject...

WackieM had us start with small drawings, telling us to look for the subtleties that make each expression what it is. It was harder than I thought - and once you get into it, it's amazing how every muscle in the face plays a role. Eyebrows, mouth, nostrils, cheeks - you name it. I think the ears are mostly out of the game.


I took a shot at the expressions that spoke to me the most, and discovered - yet again - how much easier drawing is, compared to painting! I even told WackieM that perhaps I should stick to drawing and stop painting whatsoever, and got a huge reprimand from her...

So, these are my attempts at capturing this guy.

He really does have a wonderful expressive face, looking quite a bit like the rubber-faced Jim Carrey, only with a great shiny bald head.

These drawings are 2.5 x 3.5 inch
(as in 6 x 9 cm) each, pencil on paper.

(Hmm, I should learn to stay: "graphite on 80Lb paper". Sounds much more artistic, Eh?).


Then we moved on to the watercolor zone.

Remember those little experimental paintings we did a month ago?
Well, they actually have a name, and quite a pretentious one: we were all thrilled to learn that they are called bozzettos.
(Yep, brilliant blogging AND art education!... can you ask for more?).

As we have lengthily discussed before, I hate painting in class.
Plus, I am still jetlagged.


And so, I only did one:



Watercolor on W/N CP Paper, 5"x7" (12.5x17.5 cm)

Now, at the beginning of the class, everyone showed what they did as homework during the month that's passed since last class. most of them completed all 18 rectangles with bozzettos, some even did one or two (or five!!) actual paintings..
And they all look so cool.
Even if some individual bozzettos were unsuccessful, seeing a whole sheet with 18 paintings made a big impact, so you no longer looked at them as individuals.
Very, very cool.
And there I was, homework-less (hey, we were away for 2 weeks, and jetlagged until tomorrow!), and very envious of everyone in class.

This time, I hope to actually manage to fill all 18 rectangles with different expressions.
Should be an incredibly fun exercise.

- - - and so, excuse me while I go and bozzettize.
One is pretty much done.
17 more to go...

previous ArtPact... ...next ArtPact

Labels: ,


Comments:

On Tuesday I'll decide which of my coworkers will henceforth be referred to as "Bozzetto". Thanks for the tip.
 

I am touched to see how my blog affects people's lives.

Please do convey my heartfelt and sincere apology to whoever ends up with this nickname.

 
From the Bozettos link:

...With its low degree of commitment and expectation, it gives high value and ongoing reward as a creative tool.

So there IS hope for me yet!

{-;

I'm glad you're back 'n' bloggin', kiddo. The li'l creative tips you provide, and your examples of how cool and beautiful practicing them can be, always inspire me to do the little things which I love but can so easily forget to enjoy.

By the way, I don't think that Oregon'll be any safer when that "birthday present" crashes down. You an' the JohnnyB should consider moving out C-Town way in a few years. The weather should be more Northern Californiaish by then too.

:)))

CherkyB - LOL!
 
goodness Nava you are good.
 
Michael, as I said - apparently, my blog affects people in many ways, so it seems. Some more peculiar than others (see under CherkyB), but it's cool that some actually benefit from it.

And thank you, Rhonda.
I think I actually am improving. This workshop is truly incredible, and WackieM is one great teacher!
Plus, this ArtPact thingy keeps me going.

 
Good drawings!

I want to use the discussion of facial expressions to draw attention to a little-recognized facial expression artist: Scott Adams. The Dibert characters convey volumes of feelings with a single line or two. Check it out: this aspect is there but is not emphasized.
 
I have to admit, Nava, I am jealous! I would LOVE to be taught by Ms.Wackie. She is an expert painter, for sure. Every time I see her work I am stunned.

As for you, m'dear, you aint far behind. You really are becoming a terrific painter.

I forgot my blogger password!

Paintermon
 
Well, Paintermon, between you and WackieM, one can only improve.
Thank you.
The way is still long to get even close to any of y'guys - but the journey is sooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun!!!

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.