Google

Sunday, April 22, 2007

 

ArtPact #15


So, the long feared class took place on Saturday.
WackieM has warned us since this advanced portrait workshop has begun, but we kept denying it, choosing to not think about it, concentrating on other things instead. Some of us, even dyeing countless tissue papers. . .

And yet - the moment of truth has come.
The dreaded lesson of all: Self-Portrait.

S E L F - P O R T R A I T ! ! !

And not from a good flattering photo that we carefully chose, mind you...

No - we were going for the real thing. A self portrait done the good old way, drawn and painted from life, sitting in front of a mirror. And no just any mirror; a Mary Kay mirror, which WackieM has brought to class. (Never heard of Mary Kay, but I know her name makes American women very excited, pink Cadillac and all).

Before we even started, I did a quick one, just to see what I can come up with without getting any education on the subject. Just scribbled with a pen on paper, and went in with some color.


Hmm... as you can tell, I was still in the pissed-off mood.


Then WackieM had us approach capturing ourselves in stages.

First, we did blind contour drawing - which was truly fun! You look at the mirror, imagine that your hand is an extension of your eye, and trace your face as if you were a tiny ant crawling around. No peeping at the paper, no lifting the pen. It was hilarious to look around and see everyone gazing intensly into the mirror with complete silence and somber expressions.
The first blind drawing I did was not only very blind, but also transparent. After 5 minutes of deep concentration and devoted drawing, I decided that I was done, and looked at the result - just to discover that I was using a dried-out ink pen... How typical, Eh?

So, I quickly did 3 additional ones in the remaining 5 minutes.


Still pissed . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and somewhat Picassoish, I'd say.

Then we moved on to what's called a modified contour drawing, where you get the gracious permission to look at the drawing from time to time and even lift the pen now and then, to make necessary adjustments.

That was somehow less fun, as you no longer have an excuse for the creepy results that are produced...

I did like the last of the modified drawings, though.



It was a more interesting pose (well, as interesting as you can get when you have to stare at yourself in the mirror and use one hand for drawing) and I did get some likeness.

Plus, for a change, I wasn't looking so cranky. I guess I was starting to truly enjoy the class.

WackiM recommended that I take that one further, towards a painting.
And, I actually came up with two paintings.


This first one took a long time, with lots of going back with color and glazes and endless changes in the background.

"Self-Portrait #1", Watercolor on W/N CP Paper, 8"x8"


While the second was a very loose 'n quick line work, purely fun.



"Self-Portrait #2", Watercolor on W/N CP Paper, 9"x9"

Y'know, I actually like them both.

The JohnnyB claimed the first one generally looks like me. "More than kinda", was his exact eloquently technical term.
The second one is lovely, he agreed, but then added with his typical excruciating honesty:
"but you look sooooooooooooooo much younger in it than you really are".
Indeed, daily ego boost and constant support and assurance, that's what I married him for (in case you were wondering).


And I've got to admit: it was a great experience. Most of us bought the mirrors so we can use them for this purpose at home (luckily, not all of them were pink. . . ), and I do believe I'll do more of that self-examining.

RabkieM dared me to put one of these on my blog.

"And I don't just mean post it", she clarified.
"I mean put it as your blog image, instead of the photo you have there".

OK, RabkieM - done.

Ah, I wish we'd made a bet :-)


previous ArtPact... ...next ArtPact

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Those are so uber wicker extra massively AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I am completely humbled by those with artistic talents. I can barely draw a stick figure, no joke, ask my son. At age 6, he is a far more accomplished arteest than me. Those really are cool. Wow.
 

You are really VERY good at this drawing and painting business. And good with watercolor too! Watercolor is tough. I've done those blind contour drawings before. Extremely difficult... and usually funny, and embarrassing.
 
Your self-portrait is awesome!! I love it. You are truly talented.
 
Lovely stuff. I love the lyricism of the second 'free' portrait - I don't care if it's the inner you, Johnny B's comments notwithstanding. However my real favorite is the third, bottom right portrait in the first group, it has such a quirky character. Love it!!
 
I like your label. :)

I felt like I was in class with you...

also, I like how your eyebrows look somewhat grouchy in a few of those pic's.
:)

Very good Nava!
 
Y'all are soooooo very kind to my ego!!!

It was refreshingly fun to not worry about getting a "pretty" painting, but just go with what I was feeling. It's not like the model is going to come complaining to me, Eh?

Blogauthor, with your writing talent, why d'ya need to paint?

Blueberry, the blind contours are indeed creepy, but that's the beauty of them. It's so freeing!

Jeani - thank you :-)

Valerie - that second portrait was really pure joy. I feel so much more comfortable with line. And, I too love the quirky contour drawing - need to see if I'll have the courage to put THAT as my blog image.

Rhonda, well, I sure was grouchy until about lunchtime.

 
The first one kind of has a paranormal feel to it, like you might be some sort of psychic who isn't too impressed with what's in the crystal ball.
 
JohnnyB... Putz. lol!

Looks like a lot of fun and I too am amazed by your aptitude with the watercolors. I never had the finesse for that medium so my colors always ran together... and not in a good way. D'oh!

:)
 
Oh Oh! I totally wanted to tell ya I love that you're using that as your new avatar pic! Very nice.
 
Daniel: what can I say - I was having quite a paranormal week, and indeed, I wasn't impressed with anything I saw, whether it was in a crystal ball or not.

MichaelBains: Thanks you!
As for the non-finesse issue, well... uhm... like... watercolors, y'see, are supposed to run together and do whatever they feel like. That is the job description of this medium.
I agree, it takes study and practice to figure out how to make this somewhat elusive medium look good - but once you get there, it is sooooooooooooooooo rewarding!!
(I am not fully there yet).

:-&

 
You know, I actually prefer the sketches. I love your line quality. (I've always been a fan of contour and blind-contour drawing as well.) Terrific, terrific, terrific!!
 
i see you are moving your image forward yourself. very interesting colours. like heather on a hillside and smouldering peat under a whiskey still.

maybe some deep slate clouds and heavy splashes of rain?

whatever it is, it's on the way.

P&L
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.