Google

Saturday, April 21, 2007

 

(Another) Sentence of The Month: April


Got an wonderfully supportive Email this morning. The sender, one of the more unique people I got to know recently, wrote about being fraught with a certain emotion.

Fraught - a new word for me, and a very good one.

So, wanting to use it cleverly in my reply, I asked The JohnnyB about the noun from which this word stems.

"There is no noun", exclaimed the JohnnyB. "You just say 'fraught with fear'". (*)


"And you keep complaining that Hebrew is a weird language?!?", I reprimanded.

"Well", came the quick answer, "Y'see, WE do not have that many words for fear!!".

Eh . . .

(*)
I know, it doesn't have to be fear. I do not account to The JohnnyB's English..


previous Sentence of The Month... ...next Sentence of The Month

Labels: , , ,


Comments:

The noun is freight = cargo.
 

Yev on the right track.

And yes, I'm not an expert on English - I'm an engineer, you're happy I know any non-technical words more than 2 syllables.

Babylon, the software we have on our computers so *YOU* can translate stuff back and forth between Hebrew and English, says fraught is based on a Scottish word for load / cargo / freight.

And, it also says the noun of fraught it fraught.

[Ctrl]+[Right Click]

But then you wouldn't have another sentence of the month.

But you would have been on time this morning for WackieM's workshop.
 
Cool website for you (and me).

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=fraught&searchmode=none
 
"we do not have that many words for fear"
say what Johnnyb?

I picture you two having this conversation and it makes me laugh...

:)
 
Oh yes, Rhonda, The JohnnyB's remark cracked me. That's why I just had to have a second 'Sentence of The Month'.
 
Fraught is a delicious word. Almost as tasty as froth.
 
Ah - froth. Our walls are painted with a paint named "Cream Froth". Looks like whipping cram, and definitely delicious.

I wanna get that job, that you sit in an office, look at a certain color and need to come up with a name for it.

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.