Google

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

ArtPact #4


...and - we are back with Nitzku.

Remember - painting in a series and all?
So yes, it is the same picture, but it's a different panting.
Went for the realistic approach yet again, and this time I stayed more loyal to the proportions, so he looks more his age in this one.

There are things I like more about the previous version as an overall painting.

But - I am much happier with the face in this one. No more welding glasses or looking like he has no eyes (as some people gracefully mentioned to me). Plus, he looks more three-dimensional here.

Amazing, how you paint and paint, you read books, you take classes, you listen to instructors, you watch them paint - but you keep straggling without success.
And suddenly, something hits you, and you just get it, right there and then. It's a wonderful feeling.
And that exactly has happened to me as I was working on this painting - I have seen the light about cheeks!
Of course, Nitzku is the ultimate model when cheeks are involved, so it was pure joy to finally manage to portray them as they deserve to be.

(Click to enlarge).


"Mommy's Hat #2"
Watercolor on W/N CP Paper, half-sheet (15"x22", 37 x 55 cm).


So I showed it proudly to The JohnnyB . . .

Wait, but this requires some foreword.

Yes, Artsy-Fartsy stuff (which is the term preferred by some of the maturity-challenged commenters, when relating to the highly profound eductaional art-related bits that I do here, as a community outreach...).

Y'know, I always find that one of the most fascinating things about art, be it a painting or a sculpture, a photo or a modern installation, a piece of music or a movie, a novel or
beer - whatever it may be, once it's out of the artist's hands, you lose control of it.

In the sense that those who see or hear it, will interpret it based on their personal life experience, their own perspective and state of mind.

Like, the JohnnyB claims Nitzku looks cranky in this painting.
As if he needs to poop, badly.

I rest my case.

previous ArtPact next ArtPact

Labels: ,


Comments:

What is it with you people and your bizarre fascination with poop?
 

Ah, but you need to know by now that your blog is an inspiration to us all.

And would you care to actually relate to the painting, for a change? or at least move out of the way and let more appreciative people look at it?

Oh, too late now, but please wipe your foot before you enter my comments next time...

 
Love the cheeks! Need to go visit, so I can squeeze them in person!

BTW - how come this one is also "Mommy's Hat #1"? Just like the last one?

Don't tell me you've been painting so much you've forgotten that one key point numbering things is to have different numbers...

Or have you been using some of that Manganese Blue, and licking your brush, and frying your brain?

:)
 
Poor The JohnnyB.
So busy... so delusional...
What are you talking about?

Good eye, though!
I actually did use Manganese Blue (the 'hue', not the real thing, mind you).

 
I try never to comment on people's art. People are very emotional about their art. If you like it too much, they accuse you of having poor taste or lying to make them feel good. If you like it not enough, they get all angry and offensive. Commenting on art is a no-win situation. That's why only arrogant, no-talent pricks become art critics.

The rest of us go through life keeping our opinions to ourselves.

On art, at least.

Now, it's clear you are begging for validation here. First with all the whining about how most of your readers don't leave comments, and now with your complaint that I, CherkyB, did not critique your art. This despite there being absolutely nothing in our time together that would indicate to you that my opinion on your art mattered one little damn.

That all points to some kind of underlying character defect. Are you insecure? You could never please your parents no matter how good your grades were? Your husband is overly critical and always finds a way to insult you even when you meet him at the door when he comes home from a hard day's work with a beer, the remote control, and your very best Victoria's Secret outfit?

What, exactly, is the source of all your pent-up rage?
 
It is beautiful! Very impressive! Expressive of emotion without even showing the eyes. Looks cranky and cold and tired like I feel every night late when I still have a lot of work to do and have to get up at 5.

I used to paint years ago, gave it up for photography, which I gave up for... something... paying bills I think.
 
I agree with the fat guy. The kid looks like he's dumping a load right now.
 
"The rest of us go through life keeping our opinions to ourselves"...

I am still trying to recover from the roaring laughter.
You, CherkyB, keeping your opinions to yourself?

Now,
that's funny!
 
Minnesota Twin, (how I wonder who you are...)
...and I thought you just said only
"only arrogant, no-talent pricks become art critics.".

Oh, OK.
It actually figures.

 
And to Blueberry, the angelic one:
Thanks for not calling him "cute"!
Highly appreciated!!!

Do not underestimate the art of paying bills...

 
Nava
don't know you but I have a hard time picturing you straggling without success.

I like this one very much.
Amazing.
 
I like this painting. The kid looks cool. (There was something disturbing in the previous version, maybe something wrong with the shadows under the hat - it looked somewhat creepy.) This one is good though - really nice work.
 
Yev, open any dictionary, and you'll this kid's picture under "cool".

He's the ultimate smart-ass - and he's only 18 months old.
Well, he's family, so it goes without saying :-)

 
One word: STUNNING!

Some of the insensitive louts who don't paint (not mentioning any names) are stuck on replicating reality. Well, Folks, this aint it. This is BETTER than reality!

The interesting thing about art is that the artist is allowed the freedom to C R E A T E their own version of reality and beauty. It is audacious, I admit, but, (I think) the highest form of intelligence. You guys out there who don't paint should give it a go for a few years and see if this statement makes any sense . . .you will soon see that it does.

Aside from reality, the lighting in this piece is scrumptious! It is clear there is emotional content here without it being sappy. This woman KNOWS how to paint, in spite of what she says!

I bet there is a certain mommy out there who would KILL to own this painting!!! And I wouldn't blame her!

Keep it up, Nava! There is the touch of a master in this painting!
 
Paintrermon, dahling,

How very knightly of you to stand with a drawn sword in defense of a fair maiden against all them infidels!

Thank you for the critique!!
Not sure I quite went beyond the obvious, as you always encourage us, but I sure am tryin'.

Plus, it's only number 2 in the series - you always say that the breakthrough comes around #8, right?

The certain mommy (who happens to be my very lovely niece) will eventually get the painting (or two?) of her choice, once I am done with the series. She doesn't know that yet, 'cause she refuses to read English...

And - don't you worry, Oh chivalrous one: I am keeping it up. Trust me, I do.
So, stay tuned.

And see ya at the holiday party!

 
thanks 4 the kind words nava. love the pic of nitku.
 
I really loved this painting, I've saved it as my wallpaper on my work computer, (yes, I asked permission).

Nava, I really like the colors you choose for this version, you can almost see the chill in the air. And I really feel like you were ale to create an expression on Nitzku's face without seeing his eyes. To me, he looks happy, content, and warm in his Mommy's hat.

Keep up the good work!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.