Google

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

 

Blue & White Blogging


So here I am, catching up for a short hour in front of the computer.

It's my sixth day here in Israel, and I am finally over the jetlag (well, 90% over it), which was terribly annoying this time.

It's weird, how fast you get used to the surreal reality here. It's a hot season now. In the sense of the weather (we're having a heat wave today) as well as the situation - missiles on the southern town of Sderot, events in Gaza, and life goes on, as that is how it is.

Brings a lot of thoughts: here I am, in the promised land, and - - - what exactly was the promise?

Ah, but it's too hot today for profoundness and serious inspection of how and when and will all this end.

I'm again at the emotional whirlpool that accompanies seeing my family after a year. It's great on one hand, but on the other, you want so much to make the most out of this short time, that you are bound to fail and get disappointed. What can I say, I know this is how most Americans live, meeting parents/offsprings/siblings et al only once a year, but it sucks, big time, and I am agonizing over it.

The gifts I have spent so much energy and thought to get were received with great enthusiasm by my great-nephews, so I got some serious points from the little guys.

I am now at the really cool apartment of my niece, totally in love with her youngest son, the 7-month old Tal, who is as tough and cool as you can get, making the Michelin baby look slim and hungry, meticulously measuring the amount of smiles he is willing to let escape his perfectly-drawn tiny mouth, and singing himself to sleep with lullabys composed of a variety of grunts and complaining squeaks. His older brother, the famous Nitzku, has grown to an adorable and opinionated guy who is starting his Terrible-Two age, which constantly swings between amusing to driving-you-crazy, and provides major entertainment. I have already sketched Tal in his sleep, but am too lazy to upload it to the computer and provide an ArtPact. Same goes for the other photos I took so far, mostly in the picturesque market in Jerusalem. which has changed quite a bit since I lived there, and has become a very trendy place to be.

Going back to my sister's tomorrow (she's now in bed with a throat infection, complaining that we all ran away from her bacteria and her willingness to share the pain).

All in all, the food is fresh and incredible, coffee is exquisite, the air smells familiar, and my English has pretty much vanished by now (at least the spoken one). And yet, now .and then, I do find myself missing friends in the US, my studio, some fellow-artists... which opens another stream of thoughts: where is home now?

But, as I said - it's too hot for that.

And I take back my optimistic statement about my jetlag going away. If only!!!

Labels: ,


Comments:

Nava, I imagine your family is ecstatic to have you there . . .know, too, that we are missing you!
 

Dash mi "me" le kulom.
 
Strange how the body KNOWS that it's back on home territory, and sinks back into the old ways, isn't it. No matter how many eons we've been away from England, and with a change of citizenship, I still get a different kind of frisson when I hit Piccadilly Square!!

Take care of yourself, you mean a lot to us here. Love.
 
Nava
sounds like you're having a perfect time. Breathe in every minute and enjoy.
 
Post some pictures! Artwork too.
How hot is it? Wondering if it's hotter there or here.
 
Have a great time Nava.. enjoy every moment
 
I've missed you! Didn't realize you were checking in .... thanks for the bday wishes for Wheeler. :)

I hope you enjoy every last tiny second there. The your description of your nephew is absolutely hilarious! :)
 
Can't wait to see the sketches and photos!

Ahhh, but will those come before, during or after the Return Jet-Lag fades?

Soak it in and "see ya" soon!
 
Just saying hi and I miss your posts ... safe travels on the way back.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.