Google

Monday, May 14, 2007

 

ArtPact #19

Yup - after many months of scraping what to post as an ArtPact, I am suddenly on a creativity spree.

Is it the spring that's sprung?

Is it the fact that after all the stress and lack of time, I decided to make time and put my art at the top of the priority list, while I can?

Or is it actually time pressure? I mean, next Tuesday I am leaving for 3 weeks in the Promised Land, and I only have so many days to be in my studio, of which I am making the most!!

On Sunday, I created another wonderful collage (which I cannot post here, as it's a surprise for someone in the holy land). But, in between collaging my self-portrait and that surprise, I kept feeling that it really is unfair that I neglected my favorite man... you see, it's been over 8 long months since The JohnnyB got the last page for his personal calendar, and this project got shamefully and shamelessly abandoned.

So, today, I made the page for May... May 2006, mind you, as he never got his May page (I know, I am lame!). Since I am hooked on collage now, and my studio is all covered with painted tissue papers, screwed-up brushes, paints, stamping tools and gloss medium (the latter is used for adhering the tissue paper to the surface on which I am collaging, and is then used to keep me busy trying to peel it off every part of my body) - I made a collage of him. Poor The JohnnyB, he got really allergic to something in the air since last weekend, consumed his Claritin pill every morning, and spent most of this weekend alternating between being miserable, cranky and napping.

"Spring Napping", Collage on matboard, 5.5"x7.5"

Now, on that calendar, each painting/sketch/collage is accompanied by a proper calendar page, with photos of the monthly theme. As this collage was drying in the sun (it was 4:30pm when I was done!!!), I sat at our nice shiny desktop, in order to create the calendar page, with the very same software I always used for that fun purpose.

It was then that I got a nice reminder that we now have Windows Vista, whose greatest hobby is to crash for no reason. That's actually not quite accurate; it's not that Windows Vista itself is crashing. Just certain applications.

Like the new and improved(?) Windows Mail (what used to be the highly stable Outlook Express), that now crashes at least 4-5 times a day, just 'cause it can, and I keep forgetting to save the Emails I compose after every 2-3 sentences, which enriches our usually-quiet neighborhood with loud juicy multilingual curses. OK, so I got used to this. But today, as I was trying to create the calendar page using the previously reliable MS "Picture It!" software, it kept crashing, as if we have Windows Vista or something - Ah, wait, we do have this delightful new product, lucky us!!!

I was way too pissed to go do it on the laptop, so - dear The JohnnyB, the full calendar page of the month of May '06 will wait, perhaps until I am back from Israel, or perhaps until Vista is stable (Ha!!! I kill me!!!).

Hasta la vista, Vista!

previous ArtPact... ...next ArtPact

Labels: , , ,


Comments:

Hasta la vista, Vista!

{groan} l0l!

Really though, how could you not have gone there? {-;-)

One other thing: You guys already live in the Promised Land! Ain't nobody could prove to me that Cali ain't just that.

None-the, have an awesomely wonderful trip!
 

Great pic of the Johnnyb!~
you make this stuff look so easy.

oh poo you're leaving in a week for three?! I'll so miss you.
but now I'm just being selfish...
 
I think it's one of the best calendar pages, maybe THE. Hmmm - maybe that's a Freudian insight into my 'oneness' with napping.

Yeah - Hasta la Vista, Vista. Not so easy to do. BTW - MS also don't make PictureIt no more, so I can't just buy a Vista compatible version (something about not making any money on imaging software...).

So - it's either the laptop or a different program.
 
Enriching the neighborhood with foriegn language curses sounds perfectly legit to me . . .Hell! Why not English? I bet Redmond, Washington has a steady chorus of that stuff coming at the city!! Microsoft does it again. Sorta makes one hanker for a MAC now and then, eh? Thanks for the tip about Vista, Nava. I will be very circumspect about buying a new computer when the time comes.

And what was so funny about the title "When it Rains" on my blog?

Can you contribute to your blog (and others) while you are away? Hope so.
 
So what do you think of the "MacOS vs. Vista" commercials? I use Mac at Home but have to use Windoze at work, and our IT department has not dropped Vista on us yet.

Very nice painting! May 2006? hmm.
And a fine month it was.

Have a great (and safe) trip.
 
Wow, 5 comments before 10am? y'all woke up very early this morning!!

Michael, you are confusing THE promised land with a land whose promises seem to have come true... big difference :-&

Rhonda, thanks! this actually was a very quick-n'-fun one, though it's challenging to work so small with collage. After giving it to The JohnnyB, he demanded some improvements, so I did them. It does look better now. And yes, you are selfish, but compliment accepted :-)

The JohnnyB, Cool - I was wondering if this one would get upgraded to be your favorite, but didn't want to ask (see, I am learning!). I do love "Picture It!", but guess it's time to upgrade to Photoshop. It's not like you didn't get it for me.

Mike, I was referring to the title of the painting, Eileen"!
Oh, and I can't curse in English - doesn't come naturally to me (as opposed to Hebrew and Arabic). Although, interestingly enough, cursing in Hebrew comes very naturally to The JohnnyB.

Blueberry, Haven't seen those commercials yet. We have TiVo, so we skip commercials. Vista is still a young product, I understand, hence the lack of stability. Actually, it's a MS product - HENCE the lack...
 
Wow. Again.
 
Your talent continues to blow me away.....love the collage - inspires me want to try.....after my quilting blitz!!

Have a wonderful trip, I'll miss you too.
 
Beautiful stuff! You're so talented! And I LOVE your new profile pic (painting).
 
Wow! I love the painting! :)
 
A creativity spree, that sounds so much more exciting than any other kind of spree I can think of. Yes, I think the pressure of time constraints do contribute to creativity. But what I find most effective is fear. Fear sharpens the mind better than anything. Try it out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.