Google

Thursday, July 19, 2007

 

Tough Cookies


You know, every now and then, I actually manage to convince myself that I've seen everything, or at least most of it. After all, I am here for over 5 years!

And yet....

Today, after finally getting my car back from the garage, where she spent 3 days (3 days!!!), and got herself a brand new water pump and thermostat and center vent unit and the back brake light fixed per VW recall (let's not talk of how much it all cost... money is not everything), I cheerfully went shopping in my favorite
Trader Joe's.

There I was, with my little basket, skipping among the shelves like a Red Riding Hood, catching up on groceries and looking for something sweet to have at home for times of craving. Something sweet and yet not too harmful for the figure and conscience - - - Aha! That would be Lady Fingers!
Looked all over, poked around the baked goods, dismissing with a critical look all the fatty cookies and the chocolate covered goods - nothing.

One of the guys who work there was busying himself restocking the bread shelf. I must have looked lost and desperate, as he turned to me and asked "Can I help you find something?". (that's one thing I like about Trader Joe's - they don't Ma'am you).

"I can't find Lady Fingers. Where would they be?", I shared my pondering with him.

"Oh",
he said, looking at me a bit weird. "They are seasonal".

"Seasonal????". (that would be a very surprised crescendo on my account)

"Yes. Seasonal",
he repeated patiently, being used to dumb customers who are not familiar with the seasons and local produce. "They'll be back towards end of November".

Yeah, makes sense... Sure.... Even, Duh!?


Y'see, Lady Fingers, due to their delicate and dissolving nature, don't like the harsh summer heat. The rare Lady Fingers bushes blossom towards April, perfuming the air with their exotic aroma of eggs and sugar-powder, and reaching full bloom in May. Come July, they just wilt away, swooning with faint sighs. Too hot for the dainty petals, I presume. As in, "I'm a lady"

Then, as October arrives, summoning cool winds and bestowing us with scents of first rain, the flowers that hibernated all summer come to life, turn into long fruit that reach their peak at mid-November, get hand-picked by California virgins at the break of dawn, as the dew is still glistening on the pinkish heart-shaped lady-like leaves, and after being carefully peeled and preciously packed, we get to have them, fresh and crisp and alluring.

SEASONAL COOKIES?????


WTF???



Until the right season, I got some chocolate-covered biscotti.


. .

.

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Nava, too funny! Now you realize that there are 2 types of lady fingers: soft and hard. I believe that Cosentino's in Sunnyvale has them year-round, as well as Mascarpone cheese, in case you are in the mood to make some yummy Tiramisu. Maybe we can make it together when I come visit.
 

did it occur to you that the guy at trader joes was thinking about lady fingers -- the vegetable? Thats what most of the world thinks about when they hear lady fingers. aka okra.
 
TexieD, I believe I specified to the guy "Lady fingers, the cookies". But hey, you might be right.

Anyway, the post is much better with my vesion, and thus I shall stick to it!


James, OK now, what part of "Something sweet and yet not too harmful for the figure and conscience" was unclear?... ;-)

Still, for the occasion of your visit, could be fun to make Tiramisu!

 
Well, I've heard of "Finger Picking" but didn't realize it was only done in cooler months.

Okra is definitely better for your waistline than cookies though, as long as it's boiled, not fried.
;-)
Usually not the thing people crave... not boiled anyway.
 
Wahhhhhhhhhhh? Okra being lady fingers? Never heard of it once in my southern life. But I also think lady finger cookies are seasonal. So what do I know?
 
Yeah... just heard from a friend the other day, that she went to Trader Joe's looking for cocoa, and was told cocoa was seasonal, and would come back around Christmas.

At least with cocoa, I could understand, as cocoa actually does grow on trees (it's the coolest fruit!).

 
blogauthor: okra aka lady fingers, eggplant aka brinjal, eraser aka rubber, glue aka gum, cigarette aka fag. this leads to many a humorous situations for the FOBs.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.