Google

Thursday, July 12, 2007

 

One Year Of Blogging - A Colorful Retrospect


Indeed, exactly one year ago, I finally surrendered to The JohnnyB's constant nudging to open an account on this blogger.com thingy and start posting.

My bashful debut to the blogosphere
might be considered by some as cheating, as I published something I wrote 7 month before, but - hey, I was young and foolish then. Took me more than 3 months to publish my second post - and from then on, slowly by slowly, addiction took place, to the point that I did nothing but blog anything that moved. I even had to come up with an ArtPact in order to make sure I do not neglect my art. (Hey - it worked; I have 24 ArtPact posts to prove it).
I also got into the habit of checking out other bloggers' pearls of wisdom, and even made several, Hmm, it feels weird to use this word, but it does feel right: friends, whom I have never met, but am still hoping that maybe, some day...

Looking back and reminiscing with nostalgic moisture in my eye on the past year, I can't really define what my blog is about. Someone asked me about it on the 4th of July BBQ we had at TexieD. Someone else (might have been Scooter) said "She is blogging about anything that comes to her mind", while another kind soul added, "...and since she is an artist, that means any subject in the world". Yup, I guess that's pretty much it. mine is not a vehement socio-political blog that's trying to change the world, not is it a purely-art blog. I never got the "Thinking Blog Award", so I guess it doesn't make people get all wrinkly in the forehead when they read it.

So - what am I?


How do I answer this existential pondering?

The JohnnyB suggests - with a typical smile - that I am an eclectic blogger. Sounds better than "well, I dunno", so I'll go with that.

And hey, bear in mind that English is not my first language, so this blog takes some sweat for the Hebrew-speaking-writing-reading me. I have to say that some of the people who know me here, started to look at me differently since they started reading my blog, as "we never knew you can write so well!". Yeah. That's the problem with being an immigrant - when I talk, what I am saying in masked by my accent (as charming as it may be) and constant stops to think and translate in my mind. When I write, you do not hear my accent, Eh? Except for occasional mistakes, that amuse The JohnnyB above and beyond any reasonable level. (To be fair, I am far more amused by the mistakes he makes I Hebrew. Plus, I am amused much more often ;-)

In my first months of blogging, I used to feel very strongly about friends who did not leave comments (I even had a furious post about that!). However, with time, I realized that blogging is not about that at all. Somehow, it's not less rewarding to get comments from strangers and connect to new people, make my own little readers club and join others, so I became a much friendlier person to be around. Some friends complain that they do not like this "blog-stuff", that they liked it much more when I used to send what I wrote via Emails, that now they need to open a browser and click in order to read it - - - Ah well... life is indeed hard. And unfair.

I tried different things, established different corners like my ArtPact, the trademarked Little Lunch For Thought, or Sentence of The Month, and went through some trials and errors, (like the public Happy Birthday that turned out to be a big, huge mistake, as I suddenly had to do it for everyone I've ever met. I stopped doing that back in January, with an exception for The JohnnyB and myself. So, if you are a good friend and did not get this kind of a Happy Birthday, only a personal one, via Email - it's not because I don't love you anymore. If you are not a good friend, Oooohh, look at the time...).

I find it funny that The JohnnyB is the one who got me into blogging, and then complained that I over-blog, and nowadays he rarely graces his diminishing circle of readers with a blog now and then, which is a shame.

As other bloggers attend to do, I tried to think which was the most popular blog, or my best creation so far. Not quite sure how to judge it. If it's by the number of comments, then - by far - the leading one is "
The Bare Truth 'bout The Bare Hands", that got 34 comments and opened a door for some fascinating debates. Hmm, since half the comments on that post are my responses, it might not be quite a good indicator after all.

So I wonder - do you have a favorite? *

.

..

* No pressure - I am not sure myself which is my favorite.

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Picking a favorite is not my strong suit. I'm very indecisive, and when faced with a choice I can't make, I select all -- or none. Like Yogi Berra said, "If you come to a fork in the road, pick it up."

Comments are a weird gauge of popularity. Some things I have posted, I think "oh how stupid, I'm going to take that down" and then it collects more comments than something else that I believed was heavy and thought-provoking. I try not to take it personally if people do or don't comment.

I was looking through trying to pick a favorite ArtPact, can't pick just one (there I go again!) -- the collages in #21 & #19, in #8 the roof & tubing, and your self-portraits.
 

Nava
Congratulations!
One year is impressive.

I hope this post inspires my Mum to keep blogging as she hasn't posted anything for over a month...
Even Beetlejuice beckons her to step up to the plate.

To think I met you through this crazy blogging is quite remarkable.
You have been one of my favorite reads for months.

Because I have an appointment that I foresee prompt lateness I must scoot but I will return with thoughts of my favorite post.
 
Blueberry. I've always loved Yogi-Berra-isms. Thanks about your ArtPact picks. Annoyingly enough, there must be some bug in the blogger. It doesn't show all the posts tagged with a certain label, so Nitzku and his famous hat are not featured under that tag.

Rhonda,, yeah, I myself was impressed it's one year already, although it seems like I've been blogging forever. I also left a comment for your mom - I miss her posts!
 
I thought I had something to say, but now I can't remember it.

Kind of like my blog!

Like they always say - be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Now what?
 
My favorite post is this one. It has all the necessary elements of a blog post mixed together so well: it makes of the JohnnyB, it mentions Me, CherkyB, it drips with sarcasm, and it has an original haiku.

The only way it could be better would be if it had pictures of boobs.
 
It's not easy picking an all time favorite but I'll give you two that came to my mind right away!
The Usual Suspect Dec. 27th
Maybe because I like mysteries?
That post was witty and fun.
The second post that came to mind is, Art Pact # 4 Dec. 13th

Now don't get me wrong...all your posts are wonderful. I think I was just getting to know your way of writing and a little bit of who you were so those stand out.
:)
 
"...that means any subject in the world"

That's part of why we Love You! Happy Blogoversary Nava! I'm glad you linked to your first post because it was Wild and Very well written. You're hilarious amiga!

I'm like Blueberry in that I really get surprised at times by the posts which get the most comments. Sometimes it's a matter of who's commenting that eventually makes it make sense. Sometimes... well, who freakin' knows? :)

There've been a few of yours, much like that first one actually, where you & the JohnnyB were facing some conundrum and the way you've told of the overcoming of it has just kept me smiling, gasping and laughing the whole way through.

Whatever you do, I hope you don't slow down. Dis is Good Stuff.
 
Congrats! And Happy 1st Blogday!
 
Blogging a whole year!!!
Creativity unleashed
Cascading humor

N ever once without
A mazing wit and talent
V ersatility
A nd does she ever get sleep???

Can't choose favorite blog - too old and my memory's shot!! But I can say I enjoyed every one at the time!! Perhaps kid with big hat took my heart.
 
I used to feel very strongly about friends who did not leave comments...

Your friends read your blog? Wish I could say that. The typical response from my friends, "You have a blog. Oh...uh...that's cute."

Nonetheless, congratulations on your first year.
 
Nava
I told Mom that I'd let you know what was going on...
The sweetest thing is she has a waiting room full of family and friends. A 24 hour vigil and phone calls flooding the hospital of old and new friends and family coming in from out of state and she writes your name on a piece of paper.
Can't tell me our meeting and friendship has been by chance.
Thanks for your kindness and thougths to her.
I'll keep you updated.
Now that I think of it,
I think I'll e-mail you from here on out.
 
Happy blogday! I just hit the one year mark too. When I have more time I'll go find my favorite, there are a few memorable ones that leap to mind, I just have to go find them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.