Google

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

 

ArtPact #22

So, yes, I did go on that Hike & Sketch last Thursday.

It was fun, though it made me realize - yet again - that I am sooooooooo not a plein-air nor a landscape painter.

I mean, it was fun to walk around the park, be in the fresh air and the scorching sun (it was a hot day), wash my eyes with the views, and look at the various birds flying cheerfully or hanging out in the slough. But - every time the people I was with cheered, "Oh, let's stop here and paint this!!", I wondered: "Paint WHAT?".

Don't get me wrong: I envy those who look at hills and grass and trees and make a beautiful painting out of them.

I can't. I can look at the most stunning vistas, take tons of photos, but I won't try to paint them. Been there, tried that - and failed. It just doesn't do it for me.

I'm the one who sees an interesting face, a unique outfit or just an intriguing person, and think, "Ah, I'd kill to paint him/her".



So, I did have fun that day. Yes, I sketched, but I am not very keen on what I came up with.

Until we reached the geese!!

We had with us a guy who's amazingly knowledgeable about birds, and in general, paints animals. He keeps trying to convert me from painting people to painting birds (why!?), and at the end of the hike, he gave us a quick lesson about bird drawing. I started off listening out of boredom, but - I have to admit, it was truly fascinating! I'll never look at a bird the same way.

So, after the short explanation and demo, we started to sketch the geese that were posing for us all over the place.

And finally, FINALLY, I did something I am happy to show here. These are merely very quick sketches, done in 1-2 minutes each (well, those geese move fast!), but - that's more like it!



"Shoreline Geese", Ink on Paper, 11" x 7"


And yet:


My name is Nava, and I am not a landscape painter.


By the way, all these sketches were done in the brand new sketchbook, which is my prize for the Honorable Mention Award I received on the painting I have entered at the CCP competition. They sent me this sketchbook, plus a pack of watercolor paper postcards, so I can paint my own on my next trip. Nice freebie, Eh?


previous ArtPact... ...next ArtPact

Labels: , ,


Comments:

OMG!! "I Can't?" What's gotten into you? Didn't you know that when you say 'you can' or 'you can't', either way you are right?

It all takes practice and trials and failures and all that stuff.

Fun to read about your trials, though!! :-)

Paintermon
 

Hmmm - is MikeyB braver then me? Even I've never suggested that you could, deep down inside, be a landscape painter!

But Mike - I think you're doing it the wrong way. First, you have to get Nava to sign-up for your class again, and then you have to tell her she *can't* do landscapes!

:)
 
Aha - The JohnnyB is right. Worked just fine when Mike told me a figure would be too big a challenge for me, the last time I took his class. Too big, Eh? Well, I showed him . . . ;-)

Still, landscape and me just don't go along together, except when a camera is involved. It just doesn't do it to me.

 
wasn't the ocean something you consider landscape or are you just talking about a field?

I think whatever you put your heart to you'll do...
 
Rhonda, if you're talking about the ocean paintings from our vacation - there were people there, which to me makes all the difference :-)
 
ahhh I see.
 
Cool geese.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.