Google

Thursday, July 26, 2007

 

El Presidente Ocupado


Indeed, the frequency of my posts has been significantly decelerating in the past month, not to mention the almost extinct ArtPact.

I am busy. My mind is occupied with an endless ToDo list, crisis-processing and hourly meltdowns.

Why?


. . . WHY ? ? ?

'cause I took upon myself to be the president of our art organization.

We have nearly 450 members, run by quite a large board of (wonderful!!!) volunteers, with lots of activities to take care of. Exhibits, workshops, demonstrations, publicity, newsletter, website, membership, finance, outdoor painting, social events - you name it. And each and every crisis in any committee is drained to me, as, like, well, I am it. Oh yes, and there are also the monthly board meetings to arrange: call for agenda items, call again for agenda items, beg for agenda items, run, summarize, document and distribute. (No, it's not a paying.job; it's all voluntary. But I like the way you think).

I was doing parts of it anyway, during my 6-month "internship" as the incoming president, and it seemed quite easy and fun.

Ha!

Less than a month on the real job - and I'm only beginning to see how daunting it is. I am starting to understand the many people who, when I was voted in, said: "Oh, good luck!". The pitiful look in their eyes. The supportive handshake (and the merciful headshake). And that one person, who asked me with sincere wonder: "Why?!?".

Of course, I became president right before the biggest event of the year is about to happen: our annual members show. It's all extremely educational and a wonderful experience and my learning curve at a 90 degrees, but hey, this is BIG!!! And, it's all in English!! I know, like, Duh! But, when English is your second language, and the American mentality and culture is something you are still ramping up on, well, it's not that trivial!

In a nutshell, the whole purpose of our organization is to give its members the best opportunities, instructors and enablers to paint and grow as artists, while trying to educate the community to appreciate art. And, I am expected to run this whole thing. Fair enough. I knew it, I signed into it - can't complain.

Only catch I see here: where do I find the time and bandwidth to paint?

'cause painting (and art in general) is not just something you can do offhandedly in between other things. Some people who've been there advise me, "Set some time aside, don't answer the phone, don't reply to Emails, and paint!". Sounds reasonable. And yet, when the mind is juggling 7 crises, and all my creativity is utilized towards resolving issues and extinguishing fires, it's quite impossible to switch to the world of art and dip my brush in paint while humming cheerfully.

I am hoping that it will change and the road will become less bumpy as I go. I am really hoping!

So I vent to The JohnnyB.

Now, men have this gene deficiency that legally prevents them from listening to vents while nodding their heads with understanding compassion, in recognition of the distress. No. Genetically, men are engineered so that they just have to find a solution, solve the problem, fix what's broken, and feel good that everything is working again. They do not realize that these showers of practical advice at such times merely add to the stress and aggravate the situation, as all they do is expand the ToDo list!

The JohnnyB, as you may have learned by now, is a man.

.

- - - "So, if your mind is not free to paint", says The JohnnyB, "at least exercise your technique". -


- - - "Sketch", says The JohnnyB.

- - - "Spend more time in your studio", says The JohnnyB.

- - - "Perform your color studies", says The JohnnyB.

- - - "Create bozzettos", says The JohnnyB.

- - - "Go through your photos", says The JohnnyB.

- - - "Find new ideas", says The JohnnyB.

- - - "Do preliminary drawings", says The JohnnyB.

- - - "Practice your brushstrokes", says The JohnnyB.
.

And he says it all with all the good intention in the world, the sheer wisdom and profound insight of someone. .Who has never. .Ever. .. Held. . . .A PAINTBRUSH ! ! !
.
..
.
Have I mentioned meltdowns?
.
..
.

Labels: , ,


Comments:

Hi, Nava:
This definitely requires more than a 'Fuzzy Diddums.' I have a somwhat busy schedule with three grandchildren staying with us at various intervals during the next month, while their parents flit off to Belize and Kazakhstan but if I can do anything menial or routine for you please call.

Val
 

:-( I mean :) I mean... {whew!} Ya got your hands Full, eh.

And I can so relate to John's reactions. Hang in there. Both y'all!
 
See, now I would have said, "Can I mix you a drink?"
 
Yes - I recommend a drink or two (need to buy some more stuff for Cosmos), relaxing a bit more.

And taking it easy on the JohnnyB.

Who, by the way, is into non-representative art, in the manner of Klein, et al. There's the JohnnyB Green wall in the Den, the JohnnyB Red wall in the bedroom.

How can you say I've never even held a paintbrush? I'm pretty sure I've got a lot more paint hanging on walls than you do!
 
Nava I can relate. (PTO)
But, I gotta say, it'll get easier. That is, if you agree to another year.
It's all about balance.
I have a feeling you'll find it.
The brush beckons you...
The world awaits.
 
Be careful about that painting. That can do away with you. It did me I know.
 
So you've find out about the gene, have you?

I'm afraid you know too much.
 
Ahhhhhh, your volunteers read your blog! lol .....

My posts have slowed down too, summer I think, just more to do instead of sitting in front of my screen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.