Google

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

 

Sentence of The Month: June


We had the reception for the pomegranate show on Saturday, at the very fancy town hall of the extra-fancy nearby FancyTown-Hills.

It's an exhibition that our critique group has put together. I have my "Outcasts #2" painting in that show, framed in a dark mat, and looking quite impressive, if I might say so myself.

The reception was really successful and festive, with many people coming and going and commenting on the paintings and the unique theme. Most husbands came and bonded together, adorned with that familiar expression of reception boredom (yes, The JohnnyB was also there, wearing - in honor of the occasion - a very artsy red hand-dyed shirt he got on our vacation in Grenada, at the incredible Art Fabrik store there).


As the reception started, one of the visitors, a real nice woman, kept admiring my painting, and inquired me about my technique and the colors I used. Definitely an artist herself.

BearGal, who has a lot of gallery experience, was standing next to us. Trying to help me make a sale, she informed her, "You know, this painting is for sale".

"Oh", said the woman, "Is it?".

"Yes", said the somewhat embarrassed artist who is still new to the show business (that would be me), "It is".

"Well then, how much are you selling it for?", wondered that woman.

Staying loyal to what was on the price list, I recruited a decent amount of confidence to my voice, and said: "$425".

"Well", she said, with similar confidence, "Good for you!!"




I am still puzzled.


previous Sentence of The Month... ...next Sentence of The Month



Labels: , ,


Comments:

good for you?!
good for you?!!
what the hell is that?!

so you're selling your art?
 

Some of my pieces.

Good for me, Eh? ;-)

 
Maybe if you had added a zero to the end of the price, she would have bought it.
 
Sounds like she was new to the show business too. At least she didn't respond like my poor, naive mother-in-law when she, in all seriousness and not joking, told an artist that she liked his painting but that it would not have matched her sofa. She also did not understand, when she told us that, why we kept asking her, "you said WHAT to him?"
 
Ah yes, the good old matching-sofa thing. Amazing, how much it plays into the considerations of buying art...
 
Have you considered painting on Black Velvet "canvass"? Those seem to sell pretty good 'round these parts.

'Specially dem Portraits of Elvis with a Halo.

{duckin'n'grinnin'}
 
Now, that's a thought.

Only, as tempting as it is to go down this road of fine, fine art, alas, watercolor will just absorb in the velvet.

Keep duckin'.

 
Oh, come on... What about some "Actually, its price is 900$, but now we have a very special sale and you can buy it for only 450$!"
?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


*** The content on all pages and sub-pages of http://www.navausa.blogspot.com is © Copyright 2006-2009 by Nava Attia-Benoit.
No text, photos or images may be reproduced elsewhere in any way, without express written permission of the copyright owner.